Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... I spent hours today getting the coilpacks and sparks out of the missus' R34GTT. Coil packs look perfect, no sign whatsoever of any electrical leakage(!) and the bit that the spring sits in was shiny as new. I cleaned them anyway with electrical contact cleaner and a wire brush thing, but after busting my ass all day and putting it all back together again...

No difference :( Still running rough as Jordan. Engine Management light is on, slip light is on and the A/T light is on. So gutted.

We've had this problem intermittently for over a year now, but in the last week it's become more permanent. Thought after reading various threads that this was bound to sort it out.

Can anyone throw any light on this problem???

Only positive side of the story I guess is that I've ruled out the coilpacks and upgraded the sparks to NGK BKR7EIX. :yum:

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
I changed my coilpacks,and they looked pristine,but after putting splitfires in the misfire dissappeared,you can never tell by how they look.I maybe right but may be wrong.Have you kept your engine running and disconnected the coilpacks 1 at a time to see if the engine changes? When the engine doesnt change the you have your fault,if it does change,then no fault.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tried that... probably difficult to do though isn't it? given that you have to disassemble half of the engine bay to get to the dang things? Do you just re-assemble everything accept the covers?

I tells ya - the 34GTT is a damn sight more difficult to disassemble the the the 33! Only took me about 1.5hrs today to do the spark plug change on my 33 :D

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
if you could get hold of a laptop with Nissan Datascan on it and a consult cable then you can cut power to the individual coils without physically unhooking them.

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
Strange you say the SLIP light is on, I had one like that once, I sold it with that fault at a reduced price so never found out what fixed it, do and ECU check and see what code it comes back with. Mine had fault code 14.

To put it in to diag mode, near the fuse box but just before it there is a black piece of plastic on its own that comes away to reveal a grey plug, its a 12-14 pin plug, there are two pins on thier own, short them with the ignition set to acc for two seconds, then watch the display as the Engine Light/ECU light flashes the correct code.

Just found a page I saved that explains everything :)

http://www.solve-it.org/skyline/selfdiag.pdf

·
360 TAG: vizibledog
775 Posts
How rough is the engine running mate. Could it possibly be in limp mode? Could be a faulty cam angle sensor.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To put it in to diag mode, near the fuse box but just before it there is a black piece of plastic on its own that comes away to reveal a grey plug, its a 12-14 pin plug, there are two pins on thier own, short them with the ignition set to acc for two seconds, then watch the display as the Engine Light/ECU light flashes the correct code.

Just found a page I saved that explains everything :)

http://www.solve-it.org/skyline/selfdiag.pdf
OMG - I just read this... clearly I'm not a particularly clever bloke :( absolutely confused the bejeebuz out of me. Does anyone do self-dignostics for dummies? Or live close enough to give me a hand?! :wave:

·
Backyard Mechanic
1,656 Posts
It's the same place you can short the two pins for the engine code.

it is near where your right knee is when sitting in the car there are some flaps around there!

the black plastic piece is about the size of a match box.

"near the fuse box but just before it there is a black piece of plastic on its own that comes away to reveal a grey plug"

if you dont have any joy ring me when you are in the car if you want I'll try to explain

Stewart

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Even if you refurb your coilpacks, If there gone there gone, Nothing you can do .......
Mine were immaculate and they still did it after a refurb, i bought some splitfires and it pulled like a train.. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if you refurb your coilpacks, If there gone there gone, Nothing you can do .......
Mine were immaculate and they still did it after a refurb, i bought some splitfires and it pulled like a train.. :)
Cool - although I'm trying everything I can before shelling out £300 on Splitfires!

Besides - if the missus gets Splitfires, I'll want Splitfires... so it's actually closer to £600 when you think about it :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
21 Ignition Circuit? Not 100% but sure someone'll tell me if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Used search (ECU Fault Codes) on here mate, there's an old post that shows the fault codes. Theres also a download for the service manual that might help with diagnosis but its huge and takes forever to download, then (for me anyway) it may as well be in chinese!
I think the long-and-the-short is that theres a problem in the ignition circuit, from there, sorry, you're asking the wrong person! Hope you find the problem mate as I know what its like when the cars not running right! Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts