Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys (project skyline will like this one lol)

a fella from Honda heaven is organising drag racing in the airport since it closed down and it needs as much support as possible so it can be held again :)

anyway

Ok I'm taking this straight from a thread on Honda Haven, so if you want to show your support for this can you please post on the following thread:

http://www.honda-haven.com/t61499-galway-airport-dragginglets-try-get-it

basically, the gist of it is for the last few weeks a guy called Wayne has been petitioning with people in charge of the airport to organise drag racing events at the airport which has been closed for nearly a year now (except to the flying club), hoping for maybe 3 or 4 a year, and looks like his hard work has paid off :) here is a post he put up an hour ago on HH:

Now, we're not signed and sealed JUST yet...... but mark the date 11-11-12 and keep it free!!!!

With this being the first event in this location and also that it is quite late in the year, we have to take a few measures to protect ourselves against major financial loss.To do this we will have to set a date well in advance of the event for all entries to be in by. If the required number of entries is not reached then we will have no choice but to pull the event.

I would urge you all that if you want to have 3 or 4 events a year on your doorstep, then please support us in this first outing.

Your thoughts on the following please:

ENTRY FEE - Please give your feedback on a €60 entry fee.
For a venue of this calibre the running costs for us organisers will be high. Consider that if we have a low entry fee then we need more entries in before we can confirm it. Also compare the entry fee to what people pay for just a few runs in Japfest drag sprints (down hill on a bend!)

Your thoughts and opinions at this early stage are valued. Cheers

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Can't view it Andrew. Is it in an elite section or something?? I wouldn't pay €60 to be honest. In the UK that's about the cost for a full day on the track. €60 for a few runs up a surface that absolutely shreds tyres is a bit steep to say the least. Would be funny to see the accord up the strip with the baby seat and all in the back though lol.

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooop sorry I just copied it from a another site that I'm
not :-/

I thought it was a bit on the steep side alright but I think that's for the full day as far as I know... I'll try find out, if it's €60 a run that would be a disaster

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like a bit of craic :dogpile:

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found out that it's the same organiser's as enniskiilen drag racing so you just sort of line up when you want to go? (ive never been up there)

the way I'm looking at it anyway is that you would spend that on petrol just getting up and down to enniskillen. :)

Don't think I'll put mine in though as I need a prob shaft and a new ecu lol

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
galway airport isnt exactly amazing,will the runs be timed and measured?

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
galway airport isnt exactly amazing,will the runs be timed and measured?
They will be timed alright but I dont know will they will be measuring the 0-60ft times i'll look up the enniskillen drag racing for ye and see

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may be cheaper than that if they get more names down, I think (but can't be too sure ) that the € 60 is for say a minium of 20 cars and then if they get more the price will be dropped. Just to stop them from actually loosing money as far as I'm aware

·
West Ireland Area Rep
99 Posts
If this goes ahead, I'll prob go down for a look as it's not too far but will know a lil closer to the time. Was at Enniskilin before with the celica & had a great day out.

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure is this going ahead yet, it's sort of on the rocks at the moment between the organisers and the airport managment. But I will let ye know as soon as I know :)

hope the weather holds up

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
ha ha airport authority/quango,ill bet their still getting well paid and not a plane landing in the place for public hire

·
Registered
414 Posts
I remember paying €50 for 3 timed runs (not drag) at the Limerick Sleek FX show a few years in a row.

For Ireland, its cheap. We arent the uk. we dont have multiple tracks, etc.

A half day on the track here will cost around €150 (last time i was at mondello anyway). It may be less at times, but the place would be hectic with cars.

I really doubt its €60 a run!

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ Anthony, ya isn't the all comercial flights stopped from there due to lack of funds?? I think the light aircraft people still use it so maybe they don't want people messing up there air time.

Anywho I really hope it does go ahead because it would be nice to bring some motorsport action to the west rathar then Dublin!!!!!

@Andrew R32 my thoughts exactly, we do get bloody rode without lube in this country

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't mean €60 a run buck.

@ AndrewR32 - No this here isn't the UK, we do have several tracks actually. Mondello will never again get any of my money. Ever.
Oooo spill the beans :-D

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Oooo spill the beans :-D
No beans to spill buck, just €150 for basically f*ck all track time is a joke. I feel like giving people a running kick up the hole for paying it. They used to overbook the track days too one time, not such a problem now with less demand but there were times where you'd be lucky to get a half hour on the track in the past.

You can get on track in the uk for about £60 for a full day or so, if you keep an eye on the ferries you can get them for about €120 when the right offer comes up, then once you get to the uk the fuel is of far superior quality to our fuel so you're getting far far better miles to the gallon. It just makes so much more sense, and I used to find it much more enjoyable.

There are actually plenty of tracks here in Ireland. But because of insurance and planning permission restrictions they don't get used. There was actually a track built in Co. Roscommon at one stage that never even opened its gates because the owner couldn't get planning permission to hold any events after having been given planning permission to build it. I have my opinions on why mondello is the only place to go for track time in this country. Still though, the likes of Tynagh and those are starting to open up so you never know, maybe we will have somewhere to go one day.

·
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's abit of a ***** alright :-/ I didn't know you could get track days in uk for that much like, I would be sweet if a few of us went over to a track day and made a weekend of it!!!

Ah sure you need to get your r34 back on the road soon, just give anthony one of those running kicks up the hole and he will stick it in in a jiffy lol

I think you can actually rent out tynagh for testing your "rally" car but it's quite a small track for cars

1 - 18 of 18 Posts