Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning same as any other work day I was on my way to work when it all went pearshaped.

I jump on the M6 just before the notorious Thelwall Viaduct and same old scene-roadworks, heavy traffic flowing around 45ish mph. This is where the fun began, as I was working my way from middle to outside lane just as the viaduct began, doing about 50 in fourth then
Wham!!
back end decides to go for a jolly!!!!!!
Holy shish, before I managed to get hold of it I was at 90degrees to the lanes with the back of the car headed for the concrete barrier, then as the opposite lock actually bit(you know whats coming now) a quick whip round the other way, now at 90degrees the other way across the inside and middle lanes heading for the edge of the viaduct, teeth gripped, buttocks doing a goldfish, waiting for some big Artic to wipe me out, got hold of it again and managed to straighten up :eek:

For the next mile or so I was held the attentions of every motorist within my immediate vicinity, supprisingly not many overtook me:p

The guy who was immediately behind me gave me a nice wave and a look of "I don't know what happened there but fcuk me you were lucky" as he passed me

I havn't got a clue what caused it, whether it was black ice or the metal expansion strips, but I can't explain the thoughts going through my mind at the time but it went a bit like this;
S**t, F**k, oooooh, eeeeeeee, mmmmmmmm, w**k, bas**rd, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If Tiff Needell had been watching he would have made me a Honary member of the drift club. Knowing my luck, with all the traffic monitoring cameras placed there I will probably end up on one of those "Britains worst driver" type programs(if anyone remembers that white cavalier one they'll know what I mean)

So be careful!

Pete:D

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Glad you escaped it unharmed Pete! :)
A definite 'sphincter expanding and contracting' moment by the sounds of it :eek:

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, can laugh about it now but at the time I must have had a very serious face on, just glad I didn't take out some poor unsuspecting commuter

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Wow, scary.

I've seen some methods to avoid getting the reg on those specs cameras, but that's just rediculous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Traction Control on my modded 300ZX. Its amazing how many times it activates when driving normally in the cold or wet.

E

·
0 Posts
Bloody hell. Sounds like you were lucky. Also sounds like you were showing off to a blonde in the next car..........weeeeeee look what i can do or look no hands.

·
Big is beautiful
5,275 Posts
exactly the same happened to me but i was going down hill, it was pouring with rain at the time, was only doing about 40 in 3rd when the rear flipped out to the left and then the right about 4 times at 90 deg was unfortunatley followed by a 360 then crunch i hit the centre barrier, was not happy, its like riding on the back of satan in my car!!!!

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eddie, I don't think the "blonde" would have been too keen if she had smelt the odour coming from the bottom of me trouser legs

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Glad you survived with just maybe a damaged ego :)

Pedantic mode on!... it wasn't drifting, it was just fishtailing/tankslapping/losing control. If you had thought "this is fun, i'll do some more" then that would have been drifting... "manji" i believe it's called... linking together several (intentional) drifts in a straight line... motorways are great for it if there's nobody around... annoyingly the only motorway near me is the M25... pedantic mode off!

Stay alert :)

-d

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
sounds scary - crossing the white line may have started you off - bikers stay clear of em as they're well slippery -

if "manji" is when you think "this is fun, i'll do some more" what is it when you think "bugger I'm gonna die on the way to work"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hmmmm, white lines are notorious for that kind of thing. Near me there is some hatching (broken white line so its ok to cross it) around an S bend that can be fun at speed. Over the white lines you can hear the tyres squeal then nothing as they grip oin the tarmac. Kind of a ee..............ee...............ee........... noise.

Hmmm....

E

·
0 Posts
What size & make of tyre are everyone who`s having these moments got fitted?

I had a dodgy moment at about 60 in 3rd last night. But then i had 1 eye on the boost controller & my foot flat to the floor. I`m sure the novelty will wear off soon.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Bad **** Mr Partridge. I wish I had been as lucky though. hehe. I think we have definately arrived at Goodyear Eagle F1 Season.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Bloody hell, bet your sphincter was doing the ol' 5p 50p routine.... At least nothing bad happened, apart from soiled underwear...

R

·
0 Posts
Wow

Hate to see posts like this, at least everyone is ok.

Roll on the Summer.

Andy

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bad **** Mr Partridge. I wish I had been as lucky though. hehe. I think we have definately arrived at Goodyear Eagle F1 Season.

Hey, I already have F1's, nothing can save us from the RB master

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Moschops said:
Funny how it always breaks away to the left too.
???

Have you had your car checked recently?

If the car's turning right the rear will break to the left, if the car's turning left the rear will break to the right!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Glad you are ok Mr Partridge :)

R32GTR said:
I think we have definately arrived at Goodyear Eagle F1 Season.
I had some F1s fitted to the front yesterday, went from 245/45 down to 235/45 but the difference in grip over the Falken GRBs I had before is astonishing! Must get some for the back now..! :)

[slight hijack]
Has anyone fitted 255/40s on R33 GTR rims? If so any good?
[/slight hijack]

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
F1s are VERY good in the wet, but having narrower fronts does mean less understeer anyway, apparently. They are spoken highly of on the sxoc board.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts