Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was thinking about buying this and fitting it as one of my coil packs are stuffed has any one used one of these kits?
it say i need a series 1 ingition amp with plug to fit it are they hard to come by?? and how much??

RB20/RB25/RB26 Wasted Spark Remote Coil Pack Kit £145.00 inc VAT
RB20/RB25/RB26 Wasted Spark Remote Coil Pack Kit
Click to see more

A common problem on the RB series engines is the coil packs degrading over time due to heat and age. The standard coil-on-plug setup is sensitive to heat, combine that with them located on one of the hottest points of the engine and you can see where the problem comes from.

This DW Wasted Spark kit comes with a 6 cylinder coil pack that can be located anywhere in the engine bay. This allows you to place it away from any heat sources, so it won't break down over time like the standard coil on plug setup. Added benefits of this setup include the ability to change spark plugs much quicker, simply requiring the HT lead to be disconnected and then the plug is accessable.

To work further towards a strong ignition system, the included 6 pole, 3 channel coil pack runs a wasted spark setup. This ensures a good, strong spark allowing all fuel to be burned efficiently.

The kit includes 6 specific length 8.5mm magnetic core HT leads capable of handling 85,000 volts and 300 degrees C, 6 pole 3 channel coil pack, wiring kit, fitting hardware and full instructions.

Fits RB20DET, RB26DETT, RB25DET Series 1, and RB25 Series 2 by retrofitting an ignition amplifier from one of the above models (please enquire for more details).

Competition proven!! As used on both Driftworks R32 Skylines!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah i am interested to see what the difference is in terms of performance in comparison to spitfires??

Are these DW packs any good????

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
they are good because you can mount them away from the engine so they wont suffer from heat related damage like normal position coilpacks,anything will be better than standard ones
ive seen these under a few drift car bonnets,if they can cope with that abuse fine im sure a road car wont be able to stress em out

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
DW coils used on a friends 500bhp RB25DET :D

·
Autobahn Burner
1,223 Posts
it's a step backwards tech wise, wasted spark means that the plugs fire in pairs so that the can get away with using only 3 spark events/coils
for example: piston one and six move together, as piston one reaches tdc on the compression stroke(actually 20 deg before tdc but thats not important) the spark plug fires. at that exact same time piston six is reaching the top of the exhaust stroke and that spark plug is hooked up to the same coil so fires into a chamber full of exhaust gas, hence is wasted.

·
Autobahn Burner
1,223 Posts
the system is cheaper and much simpler than the coil on plug but, each spark plug must fire twice as often as is necessary advancing wear. with the coil on plug, only low voltage needs to go through wires to the coils(thats why the wires are so little going to the coil on an RB) The coil changes it to a high voltage current and it goes directly to the spark plug. in a remote location you have to use the large thick cables to handle the charge going to the sparkplug, which has alot more resistance, which increases as the wire heats up, which happens twice as fast because you have twice as many spark events. The coil on plug system is superior and will give you better spark in the end, but for a street car you will notice an improvement, but only because the stock packs are shot/the larger packs used in the system to deal with the inherent inefficiency of the system.

·
4,143 Posts
i think my coilpacks are going down under heat now so is this a good idea to go for them as i think spitfires are out of my price range?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
get some rsp coil packs

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
get some glasses as threads a year old lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts