Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few rattles and buzzes now the subs in the boot, although to be fair the MDF needs a couple of extra fixing points and carpeting. Anyway, I thought covering the insides of the boot near the battery may help and thought Dynamat. How fcuking expensive this stuff is!! Jeez, 20 notes for 2ft x 2ft. :rolleyes:

Hopefully you guys are going to say 'yep, go for it, it's the best stuff and will stop the pannels vibrating and your bass will sound great'. Anyone? :)

Will it stop my dashboard buzzing too?!! :D lol.

BTW i'll post some pics when it's done if you're interested.

·
Registered
952 Posts
any sound proofing is good mate and dynamat is the most expensive. different forms of house insulation work well too. just look around a diy shop. people dont see it so they would not know what it is. if u want i will get the name of the stuff my mates used.works better than dynamat and its about 20 for 10 metres.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've heard that celestion sell that sort of stuff

Try them on 01622 687442

Alternatively the insulation designed to go under laminate flooring is supposedly pretty good.

·
Hello, little lady!
556 Posts
What about eggboxes? Heard that they're often used in sound studio walls. Well big sheets of the stuff they're made from anyway. All to do with the shape apparently!

:D

J.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jamie,

That's not for your actual soundproofing, it's to stop the sound bouncing around so that you get a much purer recording, especially when using microphones.

Wouldn't of thought it would even do that at really low frequencies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
right the sound proofing skyboy is talking about is my stuff
i get it on 20 metre rolls and its around 30 quid
ive never used dynamat etc but my stuff is as thick as the dynamat in skyboys car but i havent spent 100's on it lol
any one interested PM me

S

·
0 Posts
Marley tape - you can get it at B&Q, Wicks etc needs to be warm when applying it but is well cheap and does the job.

However. If you are concerned about the weight then dynamat extreme is the stuff you want to use - it is the business and weighs very little.

speak to www.caraudiodirect.com and see if the will do you a deal on a boot kit.

Simon

·
Registered
27 Posts
i looked at this but is only on thin rolls ( if its the same stuff as i saw) the best stuff is a certain sort of roof underlay from wickes and its sticky backed
but dont buy the grit version lol

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I reckon a trip to a DIY place one dinner will be the first thing to try. I've heard Dynamat is good but I couldn't bear to pay that for it.

Anyone got any more vibration reducing tips? Don't know what i'm gonna do about the dash...

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, took a pic earlier and although it's not carpeted yet i've 'shopped some on to see what it'll sort of look like.

Like I said in a different thread it won't win any SQ prizes but it certainly satisfies my bass needs!

Things to do:
make an access hole to get at the main fuses
move the fuse where I can get at it
Sound deadening
Couple more fixings

Attachments

S

·
0 Posts
Looks good. If it were me I would have to have the writing on the cone of the sub level, but that's just me :)

you might find you get the best results if you deaden the inside of the boot lid and the rear panel as the bass is reflecting off these. The shape of the boot floor will naturally help to stop it from flexing so I wouldn't worry to much about that.

do you still have your rear speakers in? If so I would consider taking them out to let more bass though. It is also worth considering deadening the rear shelf also.

Simon

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
simon said:
Looks good. If it were me I would have to have the writing on the cone of the sub level, but that's just me :)
Aha, therein lies a tale... I basically screwed up the holes in the MDF with the logo level as that was the intention. I can't stand things being slightly p!ssed so decided to make it look more intentional. The logos only vinyl so may get removed/replaced anyway.

The rear shelf speaker cones are falling apart so will go eventually, but I don't know what they will be replaced with.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Loads of much cheaper alternatives to dynamat available over here in the States .... Here is a thread on the US scooby forums with opinions on several different makes of sound deadening stuff. Some of it may be available in the UK or if not some places may ship overseas. Car audio stuff is generally a lot cheaper over here ;) :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts