Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been looking at a GTS today that I might buy.

The guy claims that it has a "mechanical boost kit" on it which raises the boost to 1.2 bar - what would this actually consist of and what should I look for to see if this really has been done. The boost gauge does not work and the car does not seem any faster than any of the others I've driven.

he also claims that it's had a new ecu but it looks like the standard nissan one to me - is it possible to reprogram the standard ecu, or is he telling me porkies.

Cheers

·
Registered
953 Posts
mine has got different ecu internals assume has had new chip or piggy back as came from japan and the boost over 1.2 must have injectors fueling and defintly not standard turbo and will not have 2 stage boost car will be much fsater than standard

lee

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
You can change the boost pressure without an electronic boost controller but to use all that extra boost the ECU would need to be changed as the stock one is only good for .9 bar or so.

Without dyno and A/R sheets to back it up and a definitive spec then run away... there are many out there just wat for the right one to come along or pick one up from a "known" source

Pope

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Grebo

Mechanical boost controller = Bleed valve.

BUT 1.2bar??? If it is and if no other work has been done it WILL go bang..........

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers chaps, didn't expect replies that quickly.

Where would the bleed valve be and what should I look for?

The current owner is trying to track down more of the paperwork - without that I'll leave it but my guess is that it's much more standard than he claims.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
so will the turbo unless thats been changed... also you run out of injectors at around a bar so they will have been changed and the head gaket would need to be changed and the fuel pump. Most obviously though the silly little IC would need to be replaced with something more capable

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
OK, I guess the general consensus is he's full of something

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He claims that the work was done by dragon autosport before they went bust.

Daft thing is the car is at a good price if it's not been messed around with, but I don't want it if it's been modded badly.

·
Registered
953 Posts
it will go bang if on standard turbo/fueling

if u wanna post some pics will have look

walk away unless can back it up

lee

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
If hes prepared to pay for the dyno time if it isnt what he claims then offer that as a solution , that way you can be sure everything is as it should be back up by no bullshit bits of paper

Can say fairer than that now can you

Paul

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a good idea. Think I'll see if he can find any paperwork first.

Anyone know anythign about dragon - were that any good?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
ok guys GTS / Ceramic Turbo... anything above 1.0 or close to 1 Bar, and its bye bye.

Melty away, Bang pop, Zilcho el'boosto !

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Does anyone know the exact years that the ceramic turbos were fitted?

I would like to increase the boost on mine in the future with some sort of electronic controller, but it would be a shame to only be able to dial in an extra 0.1 Bar...! :(

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
take off the air filter side of the turbo and flick the blades if it is not metal its ceramic.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your help folks. Have decided to leave it alone unless the guy can provide more details of the mods.

Better safe than sorry I guess.

·
Registered
953 Posts
be carefull thats all on standard car cant go above 1 bar as injectors top out about 370 and turbo is waving at back of car from exhaust tailpipe just take her careful if u want any advice everyone on forum is great

u can get good resulst running just 0.9 bar and exhaust decat etc they are great cars u wont regret it just take ur time

lee

if u speak to andy at sumo they can ship a nice gts in for about 11 ish with mods

·
Registered
953 Posts
p.s u might be lucky if u get early gts as some come with steel turbos

1 - 20 of 25 Posts