Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I was wondering if I have to get my stock ecu remapped for NL road fuel?(Skyline r32 gts-t)
In japan road fuel is high octane (ron100 or 102?) and the road fuel in Holland is about ron98,

Can I run a fmic, 3 inch from the turbo, and an open air intake without having to get my ecu remapped? It doesnt have an fmic mounted yet but I'm planning to, and I was wondering if its possible without a remap?

I've read about resetting the ecu and it wil self-learn but I'm not sure if that's true.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
98 was much more widely avaiblable than 100/102 when the r32 was about as a new car so unless its been remapped in japan i wouldnt worry about it till you start tuning

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think I can run a fmic without my engine getting assraped by detonation?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
a frontmount wont give you det,it might affect spooltime and give you slight overfuelling if its really big though

·
... is modifying the driver
7,524 Posts
FMIC is there to cool things down and remove the risk of det even more, if you are going to get a remap I would suggest getting the exhaust and air intake done first and then fit a FMIC, a higher flowing fuel pump, up the boost to around 0.8 bar and then get a remap, have a read of this thread on RB engine tuning

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66975

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
okay thanks! And do you think a boost controller is worth the effort on a stock ceramic turbo? I dont want to boost the hell outta my seals wich I think will happen above 10psi

@Murphy

a 3 inch exhaust and an open air intake are already mounted, I was only wondering if a fmic would cause my engine to detonate without a remap.

·
7,524 Posts
okay thanks! And do you think a boost controller is worth the effort on a stock ceramic turbo? I dont want to boost the hell outta my seals wich I think will happen above 10psi

@Murphy

a 3 inch exhaust and an open air intake are already mounted, I was only wondering if a fmic would cause my engine to detonate without a remap.
What are your plans for the car, stage 1 or bigger power (400-500bhp) if you are going for more than stage 1 then as you may appreciate you need to plan out the upgrades so they get done at once to reduce the number of remaps.

From personal experience when I fitted my FMIC before upping the boost t 0.8 bar and getting remap I did get hesitation on full boost around 4k revs, the remap sorted this, a FMIC will cool down the air going into the engine and help reduce the risk of det

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
why do you think it would det? det is caused when cylinder temps get high enough to ignite the fuel before the spark arrives

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a boost controller on stock tubby running .85 got

299bhp so yes it is worth it imo and thats with out a remap
I'm going not any further than stage1, Because I think its a waste of money to go stage2 or higher with rb20det, you could swap an rb25det for half the money.

But I assume you run an rb25det?

·
7,524 Posts
I'm going not any further than stage1, Because I think its a waste of money to go stage2 or higher with rb20det, you could swap an rb25det for half the money.

But I assume you run an rb25det?
Yes I've got a RB25DET, so not too sure if the RB20 will suffer the same affects from fitting a FMIC as I experienced, hopefully someone with an RB20 will come along and confirm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have another question for you, just curiosity; how much do you think turbo pressure will raise after full decat (hks downpipe = decat too?) standard pressure is about .7bar or 10psi, but since you cant go much higher then .8bar on the stock rb20 turbo I was wondering if a boost controller will be usefull, if not the decat will raise it to max boost for the stock turbo?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
the wastegate controls boost levels,putting the decat on will just allow spooltime to be slightly lower as there is less resistance on the exhaust wheel side of the turbo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes thats what I thought too, but my mate (bmw e30 with JDM 2JZ-GTE) claims his pressure increased from .65 to .8 after a full decat? then I thought why the hell do I need a boost controller on a stock ceramic turbo then?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Fitting a 3" system from turbo back on my s14a increased the boost pressure slightly. Less back pressure on the turbo lets in spin faster.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I can send you a remapped chip to put into your ECU with 98R fuel, remapped Ignition and Fueling and the Boost limit removed so you can up the boost. This will make a massive difference to your car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I can send you a remapped chip to put into your ECU with 98R fuel, remapped Ignition and Fueling and the Boost limit removed so you can up the boost. This will make a massive difference to your car.

Depends on the price you're asking included shipping/ freight costs to holland,
I was planning to get an stage 1 chip after I mounted an fmic, bigger turbo in first place, cuz right now its not 1 of the things that NEED to be done.

does the chip eliminate the speed limiter too?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts