Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the best location for the EGT probe to go? Manifold or Turbo elbow. Also does anyone have any good temp ranges for the location installed for an R33 GTS?

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Normally you are supposed to install the EGT sensor as close to the cylinders as possible as you want an accurate reading. And since exhaust gases cool down while expanding during travelling down the exhaust system you want to put as close as possible.

Now the problem is that the exhaust manifolds like to crack after drilling them to fit an EGT sensor. Also if you fit the sensor with the exhaust manifold being in place you risk small metal pieces falling into the manifold and travelling towards your beloved turbo when firing up the engine after work has been done. Now do the maths what can (doesn´t have to but can!) happen if your tubby eats some of those small metal "flakes".

These are the reasons why most people do not put their EGT sensor in the exhaust manifold. Common place is the turbo elbow. Again the closer the better.

The readings won´t be 100% though as the exhaust gases will already have cooled down when "hitting" the sensor. But if you add aprox 150-200 degrees you will get the idea of what your exhaust gas temp is when flying out the cylinders. That should really cover it.

Hope this helps mate! :cheers:

EDIT: Forgot to mention that one more problem with the sensor being installed in the exhaust manifold and therefore BEFORE the turbo is that EGT sensors sometimes like to snap off. Now imagine how happy your turbo is goin to be if that sensor is flying towards the turbine wheel like a bloody cruise missile! :eek: They normally shouldn´t snap off and in most cases only the cheap ones do, but you never know. I prefer having my mind at rest and knowing that if my sensor decides to have a look outside the exhaust and say hello to mother sun it will be flying towards some crappy peugeot driving behind me instead of killing my brand new tubby! :rofl:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice reply, thanks for all the info. So best installation point would be in the turbo elbow, sweet thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
As Karim has summed up, yes you'll need a turbo elbow with the fitting built in. I.e. the screw thread ;)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Nice answer Karim, mine is also on the elbow, next to the wideband afr sensor.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
what should the egt be at? 900c?
Normally people are aiming for around 800deg. This would be measured in exhaust manifold though so if your sensor is somewhere more down the exhaust system in example turbo elbow you would ideally want to look for slightly lower numbers. Theoretically gasses will be at 1000deg coming out the cylinder when running exactly lambda 1 if I remember correctly, not 100% on this one though. As a rule of thumb though you defo wanna keep things away from the 1000deg mark as this is freakin hot already!

Nice answer Karim, mine is also on the elbow, next to the wideband afr sensor.
Thanks mate! Always trying to help. My EGT sensor is sitting there too as said above. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts