Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if kenlow or anyone else does an electric fan conversion kit for a Skyline??
Has anyone done this mod??
I would like to get rid of that huffing great big power-sapping viscous fan on my 1993 33GTS.t

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Doesn't that huffing great big power-sapping viscous fan help keep cool air moving over the head & block all the time? I'm sure I read somewhere that it might not be such a good idea to remove it, from a cooling point of view (of course it could have been in the slightly warmer place that is Australia :) ).

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point,which is why I would like to know if this has been done before....
My car runs at the same Temp.all the time,even when Ragged in the summer,and the airflow is coming through an Intercooler/air-con.rad/water rad before it gets to the fan,then onto the engine.
If it needed it,the fan would run as necessary (electric conversion) via auto temp.switch.?.
It wont gain many BHP back,but would enhance engine bay appearance.

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
I've seen quite a few people do this modification, however, they were all custom jobs because no one's ever found a bolt in kit. Basicly they all found a simuliar sized fan shroud with a twin fan setup, usually off of a front wheel drive due to it's engine placement requiring electric fans. I've seen them taken from the Nissan Maxima, Honda Accord, etc. As far as the wiring, they usually run one fan constant and put the second one on a temp sensor. All of them were pretty affective and didn't have any problems overheating.

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that,interesting to note a twin set up with one running constantly.Have to have a dig around on Kenlowes(?) web site.
Didn't think overheating would be too much of an issue.
Next step i guess is to measure surface area of Radiator inner face.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When my fan developed stress fractures I thought of fitting an electric fan but I was advised by one of the main three Skyline tuners that fitting an electric fan was a definite no-no. The last thing you want to do with a GTR is in any way reduce cooling. I would imagine the same goes for a GTS.

Vincenzo

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks the business.....any idea what make it is,where to get it,etc?
Has anyone actually done this conversion yet?
Last question,sorry to be dim...what is the electric fan on the front face of my air-con rad??Is it to do with the air-con system?Ta!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts