·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed :bigthumb:

·
Registered
218 Posts
how cool is that !!! should sort out any lag probems associated with the larger turbo's and it could make a smaller turbo flow more air as well
great idea,

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
variable vanes isnt new,just mega expensive,and as for the electric bit it seems all that will do is add an extra trickle charge to the battery from waste gasses,very gimmiky

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
isnt this what porsche already fit to there new cars

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and as for the electric bit it seems all that will do is add an extra trickle charge to the battery from waste gasses,very gimmiky
I thought that too, but the wording contradicts it. 'Electrically assisted' isn't 'Electrically beneficial'

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I suspect that what they mean re the electrically assisted bit may be as follows, approximately..

When the engine speed/rpm is not commensurate with a sudden demand for more power, so the turbo would not normally spool up well, spooling would be assisted using an electric motor. I would guess this to be integrated into the generator mounted on the main turbo shaft, it being a sort of two way input/output device.

Aitch

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Essentially an electric motor is a generator, so you'd only need one device.

Problem with using it as a motor to spin up the turbo is you'd need hundreds of amps.

When cars have 40V plus electrical systems this will be easier to 'get hold of', but it may cause us a problem in our skylines...

Don't forget that all this stuff about greater economy etc. is just as applicable to greater power too... :D

·
Number 1 Monkey
591 Posts
I remember once at the shelsley Walsh hillclimb in worcestershire there was a car ("shelsley special" - a complete one off with no bodywork) there that used a helicopter starter motor to keep the turbo spinning. Mad idea but seeing it in action was pretty cool. The intention was to use it as a crude form of anti-lag. For the most part it worked well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts