Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to all this - I've just bought a 1996 GTS-T M-Spec II which has a few basic mods (as far as we can tell!) - 17" alloys, panel air filter, cat-back exhaust and a blow-off valve. We suspect it also has an air-flow meter but haven't found it yet!!

My questions are these -

1. I understand that I can increase boost to around 10psi without running any major risk of blowing the stock turbo. Is the Apexi turbo controller the one to go for, or is there a better / cheaper alternative?

2. Is it possible to use a ICE head unit with a TFT display to display the output from various controllers, so everything appears on the one display?

Like I said, I'm new to this! Help gratefully accepted!!

And my "handle" is UKPonchoMan because I'm having a break from being into Yanks - I've had 4 Trans Ams but wanted something RHD that would handle a 130 mile daily commute and go - my last car was a HSV GTS!!

E

·
0 Posts
UKPonchoMan said:
We suspect it also has an air-flow meter but haven't found it yet!!

1. I understand that I can increase boost to around 10psi without running any major risk of blowing the stock turbo. Is the Apexi turbo controller the one to go for, or is there a better / cheaper alternative?
The AFM is located in a black pipe directly after the air filter. Its got an electrical plug going to it.

STD turbo is good for around .8 bar (13psi ish)
I`ve got an Apexi AVC-R & i think its the dogs under parts. And ive never heard anyone moan about them.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i use to run .85bar any more and good by turbo
my mspecII was amking 356 bhp when dyno tested

as for interfacing tft etc you must have the right output
you need composite video out put for most tft screen etc
e.g yellow rca plug some equipment use svhs out put and this is hard to change
i once tried to get a lap top running a motec program to run thru
a kenwood kvtm700 it worked but i had no way of changing the screen sise so it looke crap
but with the right laptop you could change the output,resultion, and refresh rate .

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I will hopefully be picking the car up on Monday. I have a few mods planned - the Apexi AVC-R is the one I'd like to go for, but it's a little pricy. What else is comparable? Is it possible to have the boost controller tucked away and just display output on a monitor screen?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Chris

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
The AVC-R is a nice unit but as you say it's one of the more expensive units. I've read that cheaper (simpler) controllers do a better job of controller boost such as the profec B. Doesn't have the fancy output the AVC-R does, but all you really want it to do is control boost ;)

Needless to say, I went for the AVC-R. Looks are important too :D

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Oh, and the Profec Type 1 is the best profec from my research. The type 2 seems to have lots of reports of setup problems and inconsistent boost warnings. I think the benefits of the type 2 however, is that it's digital, and it has a boost reading, and some other goodies.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Profec ?

What is the Profec? What does it do?

How do the Blitz units compare to the Apexi one?

Thanks guys!

Chris

·
look its a skyline!
2,524 Posts
a up mate, i see from your post your from derby. i live in ashbourne, not far away. thinking of a boost controller myself (apexi) but got a few other mods to do first.(brakes) as the ones on my car are crap, (rear wheels locked up today)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Message for waynegts

Hi Wayne,

I work in Market Drayton so pass you every day!

Do you know of any tuners in the area? I've posted a new threat re this...

Are your brakes stock?

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts