Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above recently bought my 33 gtst . It has 2 12" electric fans . Car runs spot on but when the fans go on it hunts like between 500 and 1500 and sometimes stalls unless you hold throttle at above 1000 then is fine . Question is why :) too much load for alternator or idle controll valve faulty or something 🤔 . It runs perfect when fan off even with all lights and heater blower on full

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmm, makes me wonder if your fans are wired correctly, if there is a fault with one of the motors or something. Notice anything else happening when they come on? Lights flickering, relays chattering and the like?

·
Super Moderator
9,063 Posts
Agreed unless the fans are way too powerful and draw a lot of current when on, fans do draw around 30 amps when first switched on but should settle down too much lower when running normally most decent fans come with, or you can add a temp sensor controller that will vary the speed to the coolant temp.

Reactions: Uremah

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, makes me wonder if your fans are wired correctly, if there is a fault with one of the motors or something. Notice anything else happening when they come on? Lights flickering, relays chattering and the like?
Yes they are . It doesn't happen if I only use 1 fan so yep I think to much draw . But how to I overcome it . Higher amp alternator?

·
Registered
122 Posts
For a kick off do you need two fans? Have you tested both individually to ensure they are both healthy? As Ricky mentioned, the start up current for a motor is fairly high compared to once its running. I would have expected you to have a "blip" perhaps but not sustained power issues with both fans on.
I run a 70Amp but stockish I think you can get up to 80/90amp alternators before going into more expensive aftermarket toys.
It seems a bit fishy though. I would be checking how well the fans have been installed first and making sure they are in good nick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 fans on my gtr. They are switched on in sequence about 10 seconds apart. The digital controller I purchased was made in Austrailia. You can adjust the temp you want the fans to come on. I think the manufacturer was something like Davis or Daveys. I don't think it will be the alternator as you would have other problems like lights etc. Mike. N.Z.

·
Registered
122 Posts
@garydid you get your issue resolved? What was the cause?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts