Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance, but could someone tell me how to adjust the engine tickover on a GTS-t R32?. It's way to low to a point of almost stalling. There must be a screw somewhere that can adjust the idle.

Thanks all.

Paul.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
As far as i understand it, to set the idle you use the turn screw on the ecu the same as used to put it into diagnostic mode...anti clock wise to increase and vice versa, but you must keep it over 40 degrees from the diagnostic area.

Then you use the aac valve to set your idle mixture same again anti more air and clockwise less...easiest thing to do to set the mixture is to do small adjustments then unplug the aac valve and see if the revs stay constant.

also you need to let you engine get to working temp first, hope thats of use...:)

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great

Stew,
Would appreciate the pics if possible, I just thought it was adjusting the screw on the Engine, didn't realise that the ecu had to be adjusted as well.

Paul.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
this is a direct quote from the manual....

Adjustment
1. turn the aac valve assembly idle adjustment screw with a screw driver until idle speed is 600rpm
2. make sure the eccs control unit idle control adjustment volume is turned all the way to the left.
3. remove the 2 pin harnees connector from the aac valve to stop the idle feedback control. at this time the aac valve is completely closed and the idle speed should be below 600rpm under normal conditions.
4. turn the aac valve assy idle adjustment screw with a screw driver to adjust idle speed to 600 rpm.
5. connect aac valve connector and make sure the idle speed is maintained at specified value.
6. the engine speed increases when the adjustment screw is turned to the left and decreases when turned to the right.
7. if you wish to increase idle speed for any reason , turn the idle adjustment volume in the eccscontrol unit to adjust the speed. idle adjustment speed increases when the knob is turned clockwise by a maximun of 250 rpm.

Caution
the adjustment volume must be set 40-50 degrees away from the self diagnostic position as if it is turned all the way to the right (self diagnostic postion) the idle speed is lowered (lowest rpm +50 rpm).

and there you have it a direct copy from the r32 engine manual, the only bit i've left out is only relevent to people using the nissan consult diagnostic computer and was only a couple of lines...:)

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
idle

As a complete Mechanical knobhead(sorry wrong GTS-t terminology!!) I think this is a bit complicated without diagrams, so would appreciate any pics to show what to do. Do I need to undo the passenger kick panel to get to the ECU for adjustment?.

Paul.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Knobhead!.

Thanks all for your help, sounds just a bit to complicated for me without pics, Does the Ecu have to be removed from the kickplate?. sorry for all the questions chaps, but as I said I know very little regarding engines and there electrics. I guess this makes me a real Knobhead eh RX7 man!!.

Paul.

What should the idle setting be at is it 600rpm or around 700-750rpm?.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
No probs...:) ...you would need to unbolt the ecu but don't disconnect the harness, only reason it needs unbolting is that its dead hard to see what your doing when its in place.

As per the book it should be 600rpm with air con off and 800rpm with aircon on.

·
Member No 2.
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

GTS-lad, Jock,
Thanks guys much appreciated, will try and tackle this sometime this week. God knows why it's suddenly started to drop below 500?. mind you I recently replaced the plugs would this be the reason?.

Paul.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
No probs...as far as the cause goes i'd only be guessing all you can do is double check everything you removed and replaced when changing the plugs.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I presume

that the plugs are set to the correct gap.....

Should be pre-gapped mind you if (if they are from HKS/Greddy etc).

1.1mm I believe is correct, or .8mm if the boost is up seems to be talked about often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts