Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
u cant play a player
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ,I had a prob with my standard turbo so i fitted another all fine but now there is a slight knoking noise in the engine the car had sat around for 6 months and i thought something was sticking because the noise got better when i gave it a small carefull run to the garage,I am certain its only running on 5 so i took the compression off each cylinder and the results were no1, 130psi 2, 5psi 3, 142psi 4,122psi 5,132psi 6,122psi my questions are what is the compression supposed to be with standerd pistons and how do i no if its the piston or the valves on no 2 being only 5psi which obviously isnt right your help would be appreciated :cheers: Trev

·
u cant play a player
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thought i found the prob but it was to simple to be true,there was no spark so got a new plug nice one was running much better so took it for a spin and every time it boosts just after there was amassive cloud of smoke so now i guess that means its the piston letting oil through ,this is wy i changed the turbo because i was told :bs2: by a reputible garage in Dover (who had it for 6 months before i took it and dealt with it myself )The seals had gone and oil was coming through into the manifold but that wasnt the problem as i found out today there is nothin wrong with the old turbo:werd: , How hard is it to rebuild a piston what dose it involve?Thanks for the replys

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
if it has that much compression loss it has to come apart either way and either way its going to be pretty obvious what is leaking

did you do compression test with all plugs removed, spinning the same amount of turns on the key, with your foot flat to the floor all the time?

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Oh dear, I had this :shakehead:

I took it to see Richard and chums and I had 2 pistons on the wonk. Although I never rebuilt the piston, I found it less hassle just to get a new engine.

·
u cant play a player
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no we took one plug out at a time, is this the wrong way my dad help with it said this was the way dose it make a lot of diffrence doin it with them all out i am still learning about this sorry if it sound a stupid Question

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
well it will make the engine harder to spin with the plugs in (you will notice this if you ever turn an engine by hand) but it shouldnt affect the compression output by much......but it can give inconsistancy

it does not matter much though as we allready know one cylinder is dead

if you have a look on the projects section you may find the rebuild guide interesting reading

1 - 10 of 10 Posts