Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm hoping someone else has experienced this or is much better at diagnosing things than I am. As I go through the power band, around 5000 rpm the engine almost stalls and sputters, if I let off the fuel it picks back up. This is in every gear. I've replaced the spark plugs and cleaned up the coil packs as well as changed out the steel mesh cone filter with a K&N cone filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Sounds like classic coil pack problems to me, although it could be a CAS or TPS problem.

·
If in doubt...
KH3 ECR33
325 Posts
The standard RB coil packs are renowned for breaking down and causing misfires throughout the rev range. Probably worth investigating further. From my own experience, even the Splitfire coilpacks aren't up to much but depending on what Engine ECU you're running will depend on your Coilpack upgrade options. If your running an aftermarket engine ECU that supports them, the VW coil pack conversion is well worth it. There is a caveat though, the VW coils are juicy and work best with an upgraded coil pack loom that supports the higher amperage over the standard one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The standard RB coil packs are renowned for breaking down and causing misfires throughout the rev range. Probably worth investigating further. From my own experience, even the Splitfire coilpacks aren't up to much but depending on what Engine ECU you're running will depend on your Coilpack upgrade options. If your running an aftermarket engine ECU that supports them, the VW coil pack conversion is well worth it. There is a caveat though, the VW coils are juicy and work best with an upgraded coil pack loom that supports the higher amperage over the standard one.
Thanks for the info. I am currently running the base ECU and have thoughts of upgrading possibly sometime next year. Since I work in IT with several degrees, actually thought about buying the kit and doing my own mapping rather than taking it somewhere.Thoughts on this avenue?

·
If in doubt...
KH3 ECR33
325 Posts
I am a Mechanical Engineer with 15+ years experience with Skylines. I work with complex electromechanical systems in my career all day, everyday. I also like to think that I'm quite experienced in the electrical systems of the Japanese cars of that era.
If I can offer any advice at all it's that you leave the mapping to the experienced professionals. Mapping a car correctly requires a rolling road that offers variable resistance to engine power (BHP)/torque and an experienced tuner that will finely tune your cars sensory inputs, boost control, idle control, air/fuel map and ignition map, amongst other parameters.
It's a false economy to skimp on this and could cost you an engine rebuild or more pretty quickly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a Mechanical Engineer with 15+ years experience with Skylines. I work with complex electromechanical systems in my career all day, everyday. I also like to think that I'm quite experienced in the electrical systems of the Japanese cars of that era.
If I can offer any advice at all it's that you leave the mapping to the experienced professionals. Mapping a car correctly requires a rolling road that offers variable resistance to engine power (BHP)/torque and an experienced tuner that will finely tune your cars sensory inputs, boost control, idle control, air/fuel map and ignition map, amongst other parameters.
It's a false economy to skimp on this and could cost you an engine rebuild or more pretty quickly.
Thank you...great advice...worth the money to let someone else either fix it or mess it up and have to repair/replace things.

·
If in doubt...
KH3 ECR33
325 Posts
Do your research and find someone that has experience with your engine. It'll cost more initially but will be worth it in the long run. This technology is quite dated now and it's getting more and more difficult to find reliable and experienced humans.
May the luck of the Irish be forever on your side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I'm hoping someone else has experienced this or is much better at diagnosing things than I am. As I go through the power band, around 5000 rpm the engine almost stalls and sputters, if I let off the fuel it picks back up. This is in every gear. I've replaced the spark plugs and cleaned up the coil packs as well as changed out the steel mesh cone filter with a K&N cone filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
I had same, removed CAS and installed trigger kit.. sorted.

·
If in doubt...
KH3 ECR33
325 Posts
Just a caveat for these trigger kits. They're much better than the old CAS technology but they don't work with the standard ECU. There is actually a lot of other aftermarket ECU's that don't support these trigger kits too so just be careful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts