Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all

Over the last few days I have noticed the engine will cut out when I pull up to stop.

It doesnt matter if I draw up fast or slow or reversing, the tick over drops really low and then cuts out.

The tick over is set at approx 800 rpm. HELP PLEASE!!!!:attention:

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
Tried putting petrol in ? ;-) LOL

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Despite sounding monotonous..sounds very very AFM failing.

Aitch

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried putting petrol in ? ;-) LOL
Ckeeky git dazman. LOL

My car does lil more mpg than your datsun, eh :boxing:

Ill try the afm as ive got another standard one.

Ta

Carl

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Then the other AFM can be repaired very easily as per tutorial on here..which serves a double purpose..

If fitting the spare is no improvement it may just mean it has the same fault, usually a dry joint on the socket to PCB connector. Repairing the one you take off takes 30 minutes and gives you another shot at it, or a spare if the backup was OK.

Aitch

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
HI all

Over the last few days I have noticed the engine will cut out when I pull up to stop.

It doesnt matter if I draw up fast or slow or reversing, the tick over drops really low and then cuts out.

The tick over is set at approx 800 rpm. HELP PLEASE!!!!:attention:
the last three days mine has done exactly the same thing, i has been very warm weather wise the last few days so put it down to that as it was doing this last year on hot days

let us know how you get on

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the last three days mine has done exactly the same thing, i has been very warm weather wise the last few days so put it down to that as it was doing this last year on hot days

let us know how you get on
It did when I went to work yesterday morning, 2 miles away @ 7.30am, still quite cool.

Ill keep ya posted:D

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

The effin car is poorley,

Starting to mis-fire when going on boost now :nutkick: :nutkick:

Is it coil pack/s do you think.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The effin car is poorley,

Starting to mis-fire when going on boost now :nutkick: :nutkick:

Is it coil pack/s do you think.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!
Anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I don't see it being coilpacks, they will start breaking down intermittently, it's rarely a constant predictable thing. AFM on the other hand almost always causes problems regardless of anything else, at lower speeds it's just a little slow, in the midrange it hesitates a little, and at the upper end it can get really rough. Of course on a turbo motor the effect might be more pronounced at higher rev's.

Checking coilpacks is simple..

With a digital multimeter set to Ohms check the reading across the leaft and centre pins in the coiklpack sockets, it should be 0.9 Ohms max.

You can also remove the plugs and examine for fouling, if a coilpack is very bad the attached plug will be fouled.

If all plugs are approximately similar then it's more likely the AFM causing the problem.

Aitch

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice one.

I tried a AFM and it was the same.

Will check coil packs/plugs ASAP

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
mines been a real 5hit today cutting out all the time:swear:

so if anyones got a spare pink lable AFM i'll take it off your hands for the right price:D

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have one, give me a pm and barter:D

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
had the same problem with my previous 32. at about 4500-5000 rpm it would splutter and miss. even had it plugged onto a nissan fault finder and everything was ok. turned out to be the coilpacks.
check them as aitch has said and if their knackered you'll soon know.
if yours was a series 1 you could try a wasted spark set-up ( as they are cheaper than replacing the coils )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts