Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I was just wondering what sort of engines you can realistically swap into an R32 Skyline as I think my RB20DET may be on its way out?!?

I've been told by a mate of mine that he could swap a 1JZ into it with a few custom parts but wanted to know what else would be do able and wouldn't cost a fortune as I also got a little voice saying go V8?

Cheers

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
Any 2wd RB you wish - they're all pretty much interchangeable... then it's just the wiring.
A 4wd RB is possible, but a bit harder.

Anything non RB will require fabrication, be harder to wire up etc (read - more money)
The JZ series engine has the intake and exhaust on opposite sides to the RB, that alone creates it's own challenges.

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
you could put a Vayron engine in if you had the money!

I've done engine swaps on about 7 cars now, if there is a physical space big enough to take the block and the gearbox it will fit

it's just how deep your pockets are and how far your skill set goes (or in my case how much i was willing to learn the hard way cause i wanted to do it all myself lol)

An RB25 or even RB30 would be an "easy" swap... the RB30 would be tuneable to 1000hp if you have the money

A JZ is a great swap.... (read R33_Dolphs Nissanota thread in the projects section, it's worth a few hours!) but the gearboxs cost a fortune and it's allot of fabwork. Wiring shouldn't put you off, its not hard it just requires patience

V8s? well go nuts... the BMW v8 is getting a popular swap in the drift community. LS's of various marks have been done and have all the tuneability in the world but again it's mega custom work here. The sorora V8 is a good engine and stays jap but im told gearboxs aren't cheap again

The Dodge Viper V10 was thrown in a S15 by our own Texvandoodoo. cocks it's inside wheel on full lock when drifting and proved reliable (gearbox started to **** it'self after a full season drifting mind but thats like 10 years normal driving lol)

the BMW M5 V10 hasn't been done to my knowlage but if you have the cash then it looks like it will fit.

The aston martin V12s are actually quite compact but i have no idea about gearboxs

There is a guy with a V12 27liter Tank engine in a little rover - that fit ok

the bently/vayron W12 should fit but would require arch work at a guess

or you could just stick a jet engine in the back?

it's all doable if you have the time, MONEY, and your mad enough lol

·
Registered
442 Posts
and wouldn't cost a fortune
no such thing as an engine swap that doesnt cost a fortune

iv got a v8 in my r33 was supost to be a cheap convertion but it wasnt by the time i finished and i had mates who were doing the work for free and the exhaust manifolds got made for next to nothing there usualy the biggest expense on a v8 convertion

then once there done theres aways teething problems which cost you more money, if you dont want to spend a fortune dont do an engine convertion

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
no such thing as an engine swap that doesnt cost a fortune

iv got a v8 in my r33 was supost to be a cheap convertion but it wasnt by the time i finished and i had mates who were doing the work for free and the exhaust manifolds got made for next to nothing there usualy the biggest expense on a v8 convertion

then once there done theres aways teething problems which cost you more money, if you dont want to spend a fortune dont do an engine convertion
well said!

mind you after seeing you qualify at knockhill id say it was worth it :p

·
Registered
836 Posts
25/26/30 would be the easiest options as the enines are pretty much the same. the 25/26 options are pretyy much straight swaps. where as the 30 needs a little extra work but will give you the mid range power of a forged 25/26. Im forging a 30 and will be looking for min 800+hp.

·
Thinks he can Drift
2,619 Posts
Jz all the way! No1 can deny there better than rbs....(awaiting the garage of abuse (a)
very fewpeople disagree mate, the nissan is the better chassis the the JZ the better motor

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
25/26/30 would be the easiest options as the enines are pretty much the same. the 25/26 options are pretyy much straight swaps. where as the 30 needs a little extra work but will give you the mid range power of a forged 25/26
This!
If you want to do a swap with minimal work/cost then an RB25DET is the best option. I'd go for the NEO version. If you wanted to spend a bit more then go for the RB26, and if you wanted to spend even more and put in a bit more work, then RB30 would be brilliant!

very few people disagree mate, the nissan is the better chassis the JZ the better motor
Definitely agree with this. The JZ engine can take some serious power before you have to even think about forging the internals. Mr brother is running 700bhp on a stock 2JZ engine...An RB's internals would wave a little white flag!
Not sure about the Nissan being a better chassis, but let's not open that can of worms :)
So if you have the money, go for a JZ!

·
Registered
836 Posts
The standard RB30 will run 6-700hp like the JZ whereas the 25/26 is at a disadvantage hp wise as it doesn't have the same cc's. like for like cc wise they're similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts