Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for advice, or if anyone knows some atricles on the matter.

while i may have to wait a month or so to get the r32 gts-t on the road, i want to clean up the engine bay.

whats the best way, lots of bug and tar remover and a scrubbing brush, then cloth and water. heard lots of bad things happening with jet washers being used so dont really wanna do that, unless it will be safe.
and also, polishing up parts. how is this done? seen some in the for sale section and they look awsome.

advice and help much appreciated

cheers all

·
Seasoned Member
280 Posts
i always used alloy wheels cleaner and a jet wash always cover up parts of the engine bay with plastics bags which shuold not have water on them

i lot would say never jet wash a engine but i have never had any probs also i always warm up the engine first

justmmy way sure there many more

·
Registered
337 Posts
I use a product called GUNK, comes in a red squirty bottle and will eat throught grease, tar, bugs and makes your paint in the engine look nice and clean...

just squirt on leave for 30 seconds and rub away with a cloth - just like Cillit bang :D may even be the same product with a different label.

I use autosol on my metal bits and exhaust to get rid of any marks and polishes great, then t-cut / polish the underside of the bonnet and bulk heads.

just have 10 meters of cleap cloth as you'll get a lot of crap and you wont want to wash and re-use them.

But Gunk will make the job soooooo easy no scrubbing just spray and wipe :D

cheers

lee

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i got some gunk at lunch, ready for tnight lol.

going to try that.
on the plastic black stuff, would a normal plastic wax work ok, think i got some meguaires at home

·
Registered
337 Posts
gunk will bring the hosing up pretty well but if you want your hosing and black plastics looking like new i use Autoglym bumper care :D.

I used it on my dash saturday preparing for a south west show yesterday and it still looks brand new, nice and black, unmarked, no patchyness or smears.

cheers

lee

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there any areas i want to make sure are covered so i dont get any gunk accedently spray onto them, like wind making mist accrosss etc

·
Registered
337 Posts
I go spray the bulk heads, front panel, under bonnet and rear wall.

Everything else i spray the cloth and wipe down the hoses, wire covers and plenum, I only stay away from the throttle metal wire (needs to be lubircated and the gunk will dry it out) and induction kit (so it doesnt get in the engine (spray and clean the engine bay with the engine turned off)

If you have an induction kit, lift it up, spray the bulk head underneath, wipe and place the filter back down - will be fine.

after your done run a clean cloth around the engine bay to ensure all gunk is dried and gone and so you have a smear free finish :D

lee

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wicked mate, carnt wait till i get home to get started haha

hadn thought of spraying on a cloth and wipeing it around them parts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i think cold would be better soley so you dont want burn your hand on the engine when wipeing the radiator hose or plenum etc.

just make sure the engine is not running when you spray shouldnt cause any issues but just in case you dont want a grease/lubricant killing chemical in your engine

cheers

lee

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Cold, you'll burn yourself ;)

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just one on the polishing,
are the plenith(sp) and pipe, painted, so i can sand them down and polish them up?

also the plug cover? was thinking of painting the engine cover, with the centre bit polished.

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
the plenum, crossover pipe with the dumpvalve on, and cam covers on top of the engine are all alloy, and will polish up really nicely, hard work and will require care to keep the shine but well worth it if you like a bit of bling!

·
Registered
441 Posts
i was like you and thought my bay looked a bit cruddy?

so i got in there with the gunk and the tool box

after a week and im still playing:)

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
onced cleaned just spray down with wd40
i would be carefull useing WD40 does'nt it eat into the rubber and break it down

i remember a few months ago some one said it was a bad idea

1 - 20 of 20 Posts