1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I bought these...

Work Equip 05 (stepped lip version)
17x9 et42 & 17x10 et44

As you can see they were very untidy and the offsets were cramping my style but as they are one of my favourite model of wheel I had to have them!

I set about grabbing as much info on replacing the lips with some wider ones but had no luck sourcing genuine ones so considered having some custom spun but that proved too expensive so reluctantly I went to Image wheels. I say reluctantly only as I've had quality issues with them before but thought I'd try again out of desperation.

Meanwhile I began splitting the wheels down...

Surprisingly they came apart with ease after some air powered persuasion.

I broke out the paint stripper but underneath the rancid matt black was an awful powder coat job. This pissed me off pretty bad as the paint stripper didn't budge it!

I good friend of mine took the centres off me and dipped them for me at his work. What came back was a bit worrying...

Body filler, everywhere!

I assumed it was game over to have them polished but out of curiosity I decided to sand them down to inspect the damage to the surface.

After lots of sanding it turned out that it was only light scratches that sanded out in no time... Some people are so lazy!

Got them sent off to the polishers and the new lips arrived shortly after. My chance on Image wheels seemed to have paid off and with that I picked up my mirror polished centres and started to build them up.

So I went from these...

To these...

I couldn't be happier with them, they came out exactly as I wanted them too.
The new specs are...

17x10 et29 & 17x11.5 et25

Only issue I have is that the front needed 20mm spacers to clear the 33 calipers.

So after all the work and money put in, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
They look fantastic, might have to go and dig my old split rims out and have a look at them now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is only unreal fair play to ya doin it. You said you had problems with image wheels quality before do you mind asking what was the problems as I'm thinking of rebarraling a set of my volk nd don't know much about the company. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a custom set of wheels for a track car from Image and many months later I received a wheel design I hadn't asked for, the paint looked like it had been applied with the head of an old barbie doll and the lips were covered in scratches. None the less they gave me a full refund which is why I went back. Though I will think twice before paying out for a full 3pc wheel from them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Out of interest, and if you don't mind me asking, how much were the lips from image ? Really fancy buyin a cheap set of week wheels and building them to my specs ! Pm me if you like :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts