·
Registered
3,716 Posts
yep i do, every day for 3 years :D

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
That's the Beauty of these monsters

They really are a joy in traffic. Okay, your fuel consumption may go a bit, but if you're worried about fuel economy, do not buy a Skyline. Just sit in climate controlled comfort (these car's climate control should really be pushed as a major feature) listening to your favourite zounds and know that everyone within sight is wishing that they were you.

Most Skylines are very well mannered under 3000 rpm. It's just the marvellous hooligan potential that lurks just a dab of the loud pedal away.

I have driven Skylines daily for the last five years. NOTHING else will do.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
completely agree mate, they are wonderfully docile with a light clutch and are easy to drive in traffic

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Daily driver for me, it's a really well mannered town car I've found.

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Not a daily for me... more of a treat when and if I feel like getting it dirty,,Lol

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
had mine as a daily driver, which was brill....until i put the OS Giken triple plate clutch and the T78 on it...then it was horrendous and is no longer my daily drive!!!

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Tiggs, what made the change ... the clutch or the turbo..?

How did it change ..?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I never knew that, thought they would be kept in the garage as weekend cars!

Haven't looked up what their like on fuel, but as you say the harder you drive it the more will drink. Silly that the cossie did just as many miles on £20 fuel as my 1.6i cabrio (then I hardly took it over 3k revs).
You think that by the time you got to work the car would only just be warmed up, spose that ok if not thrashing it. J kindly let me the cossie (sapphire) for a fortnight as a daily driver and it just didn't seem suited - but probably because usually J tucks it up under covers in the garage and only brings it out in dry weather, not got a mark on it!

If I ever save up a bit of money I'm looking to getting a performance car next, and Skylines caught my eye lately, but I need something that could be used as I can't have a performance car in the garage and a seperate one for everyday use - you've just given me a bit of hope that maybe a Skyline might not be that impractical after all! :D

Do they have silly (and expensive) service intervals though?

Z

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
I service mine every 5k miles but i do it myself cuts down on the bills.:rolleyes:

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
Yep,

daily driver here too. It's an absolute pleasure to drive for all the reasons above but it is a slightly modded GTSt with 294 brake, not some big power monster.
Starts first time every time (you've gone and done it now!) and averages 22mpg. I do about 180 work miles a week.

I do need to save some money now so i'm looking at whether using a small car will save me money or not. I also don't want to put so many miles on the skyline. It will be really hard leaving it in the garage :(

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
The clutch is to harsh the way it is set up, and the turbo is to laggy....so not really practical....and it drinks petrol like a fish...

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I do have another "ordinary" car too, its just far to uninspiring to drive and has managed about 1000 miles in two years and most of that is when i took it to scotland in the summer, when the skyline was in for "adjustment"

It does however keep the leaves off about 40 sqaure feet of drive pretty much all year round though

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My GTS-t is a superb cruiser, much nicer to drive than my previous car (GTi-R). If you're after a GTR then these too are still a nice car to drive, unless you plan on getting a 700+bhp drag car of course ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mines in daily use as well.

Bought it to use it, not have it stashed in the garage:)

I dont find fuel economy that bad although I had a BMW 325i before so maybe I am just used to it!

Owned mine for about 18 months now and have had nothing serious gone wrong. Maintaining them is not as expensive as I was prepared for.

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have my Sky as a company car using an opt out scheme at work, plus they pay for my petrol too!

Now considering I spend most of my time at the Bentley production plant I thought it was only decnt to turn up in something different.

On a practicality issue I got in the back of a Golf the other day and I couldn't believe how cramped it was, not as much room as mine.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Mine is a daily driver. I've been toying with the idea of an Audi A4 as a daily driver but not so sure now to be honest. Mine is only slightly modded and needs a new clutch so the clutch is getting on my nerves recently but fuel economy isn't that bad either. My friends all say that I shouldn't use it daily because of fuel economy and the risks in the wet. I say What risks? I used to drive a 2.8V6 Capri every day for 2 years so the Skyline is a joy.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
having an autobox is really handy... the car becomes a rolling musical armchair in heavy traffic. just put in 'd' and let it creep. :)

E

·
0 Posts
Mines a daily driver too. Whats the point of sticking it in the garage & not using it? Brakes siezing,dust gathering etc. Get it in the fast lane where it belongs put yer foot down & sod the cost of fuel :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts