Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard so many stories about exhaust manifold studs breaking on the r33 gtst models dose this affect the whole range of r33gtst or did nissan become aware of the problem and upgrade the studs on later models mine is 1997 spec2 that seems ok but that thought is in the back of my mind may be this can happen at any time are there any specific symptons when the studs break any info will be great

·
Registered
310 Posts
just listen and see if the manifold is blowing, i'm in the middle of doing mine now 3 of them had broken so i just got some uprated studs from conceptua and fitted them tonight then going to put the rest back togeather on sunday i hope

·
R33 GTS-T "Godzuki"
1,104 Posts
As a rule it's only skylines with a bonnet at the front and an exhaust at the back that are prone to exhaust studs snapping. Could be worse tho,my manifold snapped clean in half. Best bet is uprated studs,stainless manifold(can be rewelded if it cracks) and elongate the stud holes to allow for expansion from heat etc

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine started going so speedr33per on here done mine 4 me. If u can, id get them sorted when u have chance. Uprated ones arnt very expensive and its a peace of mind thing.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Use uprated studs and elongate the holes on the manifold and it'll be fine, although I started cracking a manifold every 5-9 months so now run a stainless steel tubular one.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Click the link in the sig mate

Snapped manifold studs can happen on any car at any time tbh same as a head gasket many are getting on 15 years or more and have done well just like the coil packs and by all accounts cant be that bad really.

If i was to do it again i would not use up rated studs as it appears that the stud will not snap but instead crack the manifold witch is more expensive, Id take the studs over the manifold tbh although it can be a pig to do.

Other info.

The sound normally starts as a slight ticking noise that increases with revs but goes away as the car get warmer. This is due to expansion and the manifold trapping the gasket inside stopping it flapping about witch is the ticking noise you can hear.

Each time it will get louder and louder your lose some performance as boost pressure escapes and bow the manifold like a banana, also think there could be some valve damage if you leave it to long but others will confirm or deny that or any part of this tbh

As i always say im no mechanic i just have personal hands on experience of this.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
See I've had the manifold crack on std and uprated studs, and for me i'd rather be replacing the manifold at £25-£40 a time rather than re-doing studs.

·
R33 GTS-T "Godzuki"
1,104 Posts
im with bruce on this one. cracked manifold 2-3 hours. snapped studs......ages and ages trying to drill the fookers out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts