Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does this make any difference what so ever?
how does it work?

reason i ask is i have been told its a good performance mod, does anyone know what size i should you use and do i need to remove the manifold and things to do this?

many thanks

·
Registered
828 Posts
Briefly wrap is supposed to keep the heat in the exhaust itself rather than dispersing through the pipework.The hotter the gases the better the flow through the exhaust.
You obviously get another benefit in the fact that it should reduce your underbonnet temperture.

In my eyes i dont think its worth the hassle but each to their own.For what your likely to pick up its very minimal hp wise.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
by the exhaust wrap keeping the heat in the exhaust would this lead to better and mor consistant flames when changing gear or backing off the throttle

·
Registered
828 Posts
by the exhaust wrap keeping the heat in the exhaust would this lead to better and mor consistant flames when changing gear or backing off the throttle
I wouldnt think it would make any difference bud tbh.
People tend to wrap the manifold/downpipe and you can get the turbo "bags" as wrap the turbo to but by the time its exited through the rest of the system it probably would have cooled down just as much as it wouldve unwrapped anyway.
That said the hotter it is in the manifold area via being wrapped the more chance the excess fuel is going to burn before its made it out the back of the car because of the extra little bit of heat.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Take a look at a WRC...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
And the other important point is one of simple physics - you can only slow down the heat transfer, not stop it completely, and if it takes longer for the heat to bleed through the lagging to the engine bay, it's going to take longer for it all to cool down too. There's a reason it's not done in the factory you know!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Getting my Exhaust wrapped but only cos the heat soak is so bad. But im also getting a lot of the other pipework wrapped in heatshield to reduce the amount of heat being transferred from the ehaust. Hopefully it will reduce rge heat ive got under the bonnet at the mo.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The other point to note is that wrapping a cast iron manifold is likely to make it crack. Ok if you've got an aftermarket SS manifold...
True, but it also has the same effect on SS ones too. Manifold gets hotter, therefore higher expansion due to heat, therefore more stress, therefore more likely to crack.

lmfracing said:
Take a look at a WRC...
WRC flames more because they run antilag, which basically promotes combustion in the exhaust manifold to keep the turbo spinning.
Nothing to do with wrap.
As long as the exhaust is above the ignition temperature, then flames will happen provided the right mixture strength is present in the exhaust.:drivin:

nemo said:
And the other important point is one of simple physics - you can only slow down the heat transfer, not stop it completely, and if it takes longer for the heat to bleed through the lagging to the engine bay, it's going to take longer for it all to cool down too. There's a reason it's not done in the factory you know!
Factory don't use wrap tape, because it lasts all of 12 months in normal dailly driving, and looks tatty in 5, but they do heat wrap. They use a thin alluminium skin shield, and some use glass wadding between that and exhaust pipe. Just look at the stock skyline exhaust. But it is probably not for performance gain reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts