Skyline Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,974 Posts
Given that those codes you first quoted didn't exist in the manual I think it was down to a code reader that wasn't capable of reading JOBD properly.

Yes there are two cam sensors, and now you mention it I have seen this code coming up because the cam chain has stretched beyond service limits, so it would first be worth taking it to a competent mechanic to have this checked out before replacing the cam sensors.

Reactions: original_sid4u

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Given that those codes you first quoted didn't exist in the manual I think it was down to a code reader that wasn't capable of reading JOBD properly.

Yes there are two cam sensors, and now you mention it I have seen this code coming up because the cam chain has stretched beyond service limits, so it would first be worth taking it to a competent mechanic to have this checked out before replacing the cam sensors.
I think the key word you mention is 'competent', i have had some shocking ones lately that have caused me all sorts of problems. Is it usually recommended to change the timing chain after a given mileage??

I decided to drive the car yesterday for my commute and it did not misbehave once..maybe it occurs at speeds of up to 40mph

·
Registered
134 Posts
From the info I've read the timing chains on our cars are supposed to last the life of the car. What that means exactly....I have no idea. That's just want I've read on other forums.

I had 173K miles when I had my engine rebuilt and did the timing chain at that time. My cam sensors were good as I wasn't throwing codes for those. I do remember coming across quite a bit of info regarding cam sensors on the G35 or 350Z forum sites.

Regarding the alternators, at once I bought the alternator here in the UK, I wasn't thinking it was an issue with the alternator again. When the replacement went bad, I informed the company and they sent me a replacement. When that one went back I asked for a refund. The alternator I eventually went with was one from Zmanalex and it was a genuine used alternator for our car. I want to say it had 30K miles on it or so. That is the one I am using now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
From the info I've read the timing chains on our cars are supposed to last the life of the car. What that means exactly....I have no idea. That's just want I've read on other forums.

I had 173K miles when I had my engine rebuilt and did the timing chain at that time. My cam sensors were good as I wasn't throwing codes for those. I do remember coming across quite a bit of info regarding cam sensors on the G35 or 350Z forum sites.

Regarding the alternators, at once I bought the alternator here in the UK, I wasn't thinking it was an issue with the alternator again. When the replacement went bad, I informed the company and they sent me a replacement. When that one went back I asked for a refund. The alternator I eventually went with was one from Zmanalex and it was a genuine used alternator for our car. I want to say it had 30K miles on it or so. That is the one I am using now.
Hi Hiro thats a lot of miles! Did you notice any issues before you decided to rebuild the lump?

The scanner i used previously was made to believe it was scanning a 350z and not a 350GT and came up with 'abnormal battery voltage'. This maybe because of what Tricky stated in that it could not pick up JOBD codes properly. Although i have never had any issue using the same scanner to diagnose problems before

Since i have a JOBD/EOBD scanner now it pretty much didnt bring up ABV fault code but the cam sensors. Im a little unsure whether to investigate the alternator further, after the small test i did with my meter at home and after posting what i found the responses i got from this thread earlier was that it is possibly overcharging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Error codes

I am experiencing a similar problem of engine cutting out, it's happened twice at low speed and once ticking over this morning. I have three warning lights on the dash, SLIP, VDC off and engine. This has only started since I renewed all discs, pads and bearings.
Is it connected?
I have trolled the internet searching for answers and one of the more obscure answers was low brake fluid level, another is cam angle sensor!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also had same problems recently, engine malfunction light, VDC off and SLIP on together, engine cut out 4 or 5 times. With all 3 lights on the engine took several turns to start, the VDC off and SLIP lights were intermittent. Turned out to be the right cam angle sensor. Nissan main dealer in France, 300?, whew!!! But worth it. Car running great again, managed 150mph yesterday.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts