Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing this sound for a while, when I turn on the ignition, before starting.

Ticking sound from the engine bay. After having boost controller problems; not holding desired boost, after some investigation, it seems it's the boost controller solenoid in the engine bay opening and closing.

I've checked the connections of the solenoid and gauge to the ECU and they appear to be ok.

Another thing I've noticed though, the rev gauge is all over the place. After some interesting reading on the this here forum, I've read that those kph/mph converters have been known to cause all kinds of problems.

Could my kph/mph converter be causing the boost controller to be flicking on and off, along with the revs gauge going into fits?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just been rewiring it in and everything seems ok.. but as I lean over and block the light to the gauge, the solenoid in the engine bay starts ticking again. As soon as I come away, it stops.

I was laughing to myself thinking, how is my movement in and out of the car effecting this electrical solenoid in the engine bay... and it turns out, I can make the ticking stop and start again by placing my finger over the auto dimming sensor on the face of the gauge!

What is that all about?!?!?

I've had it for over a year, so I realise there is no warranty on it, but is there anything I can do to fix this?

(I've also asked the makers of the boost controller, see what they have to say)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So do you guys think I'm right in saying my Turbosmart Eboost controller is, for want of a better word, shagged?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Could try replacing the solenoid i suppose, but personally i dont rate TurboSmart as being "all that" after attempting to install 2 different units that werent working properly in the first place, so that doesnt help the case

So is it wired directly into the ECU? (asking out of curiosity cos some arent, like Blitz DSBC Spec S)

:cheers:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could try replacing the solenoid i suppose, but personally i dont rate TurboSmart as being "all that" after attempting to install 2 different units that werent working properly in the first place, so that doesnt help the case

So is it wired directly into the ECU? (asking out of curiosity cos some arent, like Blitz DSBC Spec S)

:cheers:
Yeah, 3 wires, Earth, power and revs, wired into the ecu... and then 2 wires from the gauge to the solenoid.

But if you're saying you've come across 2 faulty units yourself, well, I guess after over 18 months, it's expected. A little disappointed though.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts