Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
hi everyone as some of you might know i just had my car mapped and it didnt go as smoothly as i wanted so thought ide make a guide for first timers like my self, ive never mapped any car before and wish i read some tips or a guide type thing before i went so thought ide made a quick guide for those interested as a first timer.

are you really ready?

what i mean is are you really sure you are ready to map, do you have all the mods u want on your car already or have some to buy still, my advice would be make sure you have all the mods you want on the engine before you decide you are really ready to map.
there is no point imo lets say having 80% of what you want on the engine going for a map spending lets say the set price of £420 then going back to mappers 2 weeks later to map the rest of the mods in, and at £60-£70 per hour it might be wise to just wait till you are really ready.

Expectation/being realistic

a lot of people ive spoken to here and there have modded slightly and claim when they do get mapping done they will gain 200bhp for example. i mean we know most of us might exaggerate sometimes but we need to be realistic, for the purpose of this guide i will tell you my mods and what i realistically expected.

Conceptua stage 2 turbo
Full turbo back exhaust system (Blitz nur spec-r)
Apexi cone pod filter
Z32 AFM
R33 GTR Fuel pump(swapped to Walbro 255 pump) will explain later
Japspeed D1 Intercooler
TFS uprated coilpack
Gizzmo MS-IBC boost controller

now with these mods i said to my self if i get anything above 340bhp i would be happy i knew not expect an unrealistic number so i went 20bhp under what on paper i would make and 10bhp above the figure i would be happy with. if you set your expectation too high and once you get to mappers and you get lower than what you wanted you will really be disappointed but would only have yourself to blame. so SET A REALISTIC GOAL.

Preperation

To prepare i done a full service and a cambelt change, why do it? simple you want and need your engine internals to be performing at there best with all that new fresh oil and solid spark you will get the most out of your engine when it comes to mapping and also we are all enthusiasts so we should always be servicing anyway so i highly recommend it and so will everyone else including your mapper. also you really should change your timing belt, remember your going to be putting the engine and belt under heavier load and the last thing you want is a snapped belt and destroyed engine on the rollers. on top of this make sure you give your car a full once over and make SURE you have all the known problems fixed as well as hunting for unseen problems. when i got to mappers my car had problems with dodgy idle it turned out to be the icv which had an air leak due to missing bolt and broken gasket, which was fixed but the labour to fix it was added to my final bill of which i could have saved if only i did it myself before i went.

Mapping day

try and get the earliest appointment you can actually wake up for, why you ask? because anything could happen imagine for example you make an appointment for a 3pm mapping session and the garage closes at 5 now that only gives you 2 hours headway in case anything goes wrong. which we all know diagnosing and fixing an issue could easily go over that 2 hours then you will see your self going home by train, and if you live really far spending the night in a local B&B which is just more money you could be saving.
my original appointment was at 11.20 i got there 11.30 car went on rollers by 13.30 mapping failed due to R33 GTR fuel pump failing, no spare ones were in stock and i didn't have a spare one to hand so had to get the garage to order one which arrived next day.

Make sure to take as MANY spare parts with you as you possibly can. you are going to put a heavier load on your engine and anything which was just strong enough to cope with stock power could fail once more load is asked if them. so coilpacks, boost valve, spare dump valve, injectors or anything you can think of as you never know something miniscule could fail but because the garage didnt have any spare and you left your spare one at home 200 miles away you are now stuck. so pack your self a sandwich but pack your car as many spares as you can just in case :)

Save your pennys

I naively saved about £420 for the mapping not taking into consideration the issues i would have, anything could go wrong seeing you having to rush buy a replacement part and if i didnt have my credit card with me i would have been royally screwed, if i knew i would have issues i would make sure to save some extra money.
my estimate of what i needed was £420 but in reality the total spend for my mapping was around £900. failing fuel pump, failing injectors, failing icv, air leaks, labour it all adds up.

conclusion

i know my guide might sound negative but believe me the end result is amazing your smile will be as if it was the day you got your first skyline again we all know the skyline smile right? :). your situation might be totally opposite to mine and you could go there with absolutely nothing wrong with your car and a good clean map then go home within a few hours but its always good to take precautions and prepare. so my final words are if you have not done mapping but really need to then do it, you wont regret it, i just wish i read this guide before i went so my wallet wouldn't take as much of a pounding as it did and all on the same week as i got married lol. remember im no expert neither do i claim to be but as someone who has never got a car mapped i just wanted to share my first experience and share a few words with anyone in this awesome community who can hopefully benefit from it.

car is now running way more power than i was expecting but because i set my goal at 340bhp the final result is that much more enjoyable but was told with some 550 cc injectors i could get a few more horses squeezed in. every little helps right :) well anyway hope someone benefits from this, and heres a pic :)

Attachments

·
Belgian Fries
209 Posts
Thanks for this great write up, I'm going to get mine tuned this summer and can now safely check all the common problems before going in.

Might be a good idea to make a list of problems to watch out for. So if anybody experienced something that isn't in the list above please add it to this topic so future dyno runs can go as smoothly as possible :)

What I can think of now is checking your boost/vacuum lines, cracks on your manifold, gaskets, lambda sensor, engine timing, coilpacks, AFM, boost solenoid, spark plugs, coilpacks, clean air filter, intercooler piping, check engine codes, exhaust leaks, all fluids on correct level, fuel pressure check, ...

And don't forget to secure your boost lines, I was talking with an Australian chap and he had a 500hp rb25det running smooth as hell. Turns out one of his boost lines slid off and he was running 38 psi. ****ed up his entire block. Only takes a second to add a worm clamp or something alike but will save you a lot of headaches!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice write up mate,read the tramas of your earlier thread glad you got it sorted in the end
Getting mine done this year with same mods plus injectors so 400 ponies sounds good.Now you can take the wife out for a ride.take care.

·
Registered
44 Posts
this could prove very useful as will be looking to get mine mapped in the summer/autumn.
and the experience you had was definitely along the same lines for a friend of mine, failed plugs, injector, lambda probes and pipes blowing off during mapping.

but he does have a 600+ S4 now for his troubles :)

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Kind of common sense really, but a useful write up non the less,
I will make this a sticky in the tech section.

·
Registered
251 Posts
1 other thing. .. don't rush to get things done. It always Never Works and usually the results aren't satisfying. .. If u can't get things done before the tune date better to set another date.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts