Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything special i need to do? empty the power steering fluid or anything like that? is the belt okay to just take off?
how many bolts are there i need to remove? :screwy:

Getting another one tomorrow hopefully and i need to put it on before the weekend, hope you guys can give me some pointers to make it easy.

Cheers, Ian

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! should i catch the old fluid or fill with new stuff?
also.... have you got a pics of the bolts that'd need removing? I'v got 3 off an it looked like it would come off at that but its still locked in position at one of the bolts :( so i've a feeling i've taken the wrong set of bolts off?

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
new fluid would be nice...if for some reason you cant get new fluid (funds/shops closed etc) then you can reuse the old stuff, allow it to sit in a container for some time if it has loads of air in it and it will rise out

pics, might have, give me a couple of hours to post them as im currently at work

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/TEFUS/?action=view&current=P1000095.jpg
you can see the fluid input side connected via a jubilee clip, remove this clip and "bung" with a big bolt or summat

also you will notice two BIG 24mm bolts on the top of the pump, you will need to bung these also, use new copper washers when you refit
http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e327/TEFUS/?action=view&current=P1000051-2.jpg
notice the oil from the intake pipe......this is a leaky turbo! (now changed)

if you look at the pump from the front of the car you will notice the main bolt opposite a hole in the cowling for the radiator...you need to rotate the pully until you can get a socket on that bolt and retract it out through the pulley into the hole on the cowling to remove it

finally under the pump you will find the adjuster, if i remember correctlty this is two bolts

after that the pump should be off

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!
I nearly got it off last night whilst awaiting the replacemnt part but all of my tools where breaking and it was getting dark so i gave up,
I took the bolts off you've mentioned but its still connected somehow by where that long bolt came out , it is swinging on it ... which looks like a bit of a problem with it being a solid metal bracket i can't bend it back a few mm's

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Done it, the bracket that i thought it was still attached to - it wasn't attached it was just uber tight, when i kept pulling it one way and then the other it eventually came loose and i had to wiggle the new pump back into place as well

its always better to go away and come back when you're starting to get mad with something on the car :) i.e. when you're thinking straight again

all in all a very easy job now i know how its done for a reasonably competant home mechanic with decent tools :D
I'd give it a 3 out of 10 difficulty rating to anyone who's just used the search facility and is thinking about getting a garage to do it... DO IT YOURSELF!!!

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
Did you change the fluid, or re-use the old fluid ? If you changed it, how did you empty the rack ?

Moff

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
didn't empty the rack, i just used new fluid on top, now i'm going to have to release the air in it later
...jack it up, take the cap off it and turn the wheel from side to side with the engine switched off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts