Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be fitting Tomei pon cams when they arrive, going too attempt this myself. anyone done this? and is it pretty straightforward? (have fitted injectors and clutch myself). so am quite confident i can do this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

:cheers: Keith

·
Registered
684 Posts
Keith,

I dont know about the RB25, but I do know that you have to shim the cams on the RB26. I installed my own injectors and clutch as well. But you are braver than I am, I cant afford a new set of cams, plus a head if I screw it up.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
The RB26 has solid lifters where the RB25 has hydraulic lifters so wont need shimming, i had my cam and cambelt changed by norris designs and took them just over an hour ish.

·
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now then! do i fit these or not? had a Pm from a member stating that im wasting my time and money on going down the pon cam route! and that i should be going for water/methanol inj instead. what are other folk's thoughts on this??

:cheers:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
why should you ignore doing the cams?? they are an important part of the engine and make a big difference

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
I've got both on my car and found both as good as each other.

I def noticed a difference when the cam was fitted, but it did need a remap anyways.

The water injection is brilliant for track and very hot days, it keeps the charge temps right down and on a hot day the car goes like a cold morning.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
there will be a specific method for tightening them down,if you tighten one end too muh you could potentialy snap the cam,tis not hard to do though

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
You can't go wrong really mate, as they are a direct swap.
I would download the r33 engine manual as it gives the tightening procedure and torque settings for the cam carriers.:bigthumb:

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Just a quick thought, did you get the right pon cams for your car.
They are different for the s1 and s2 engines, so i'm told.

·
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a quick thought, did you get the right pon cams for your car.
They are different for the s1 and s2 engines, so i'm told.

Yes Mate. These ones Tomei - Pon Camshafts
ECR33 Series 2 (RB25DET) - Duration: IN, EX 256 Lift: IN,EX 8.5mm143050

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have fitted an inlet (same as Bruce's) and just follow the manual, it is pretty easy just take your time and don't swap the caps about either. yep series 1 and 2 are different because of different CAS fitting in the exhaust cam I believe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts