Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to fit a leather armrest cover and after a couple of hours have finally lost my patience! I’ve been using brown tape to pull the sides straight so I can get the seam to run straight and in the middle of the curve of the rest. I get about 90% of the way there but it looks a bit amateurish.

The cover it self is a pretty good fit, it’s just getting the tension distributed evenly I think. Thought about using some contact adhesive, but this doesn’t give much manoeuvring once the cover is fitted…

Anyone got any tips?

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
I assume you've unscrewed the cover on the underside of the armrest and are using it to secure the leather to the cover?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the intention! I'm trying to get the seam to line up on the length of edge of the armrest (it’s a curve not a 90 degree corner) and also the width, so there are 4 straight parallel lines on all sides when viewed from above and without any noticeable creasing to the leather.

It's a damn sight harder than I first imagined it would be and I’m frankly beginning to whish I hadn’t bothered as suddenly (and by no probable coincidence) the OEM rubber effort is starting to look a lot more appealing!!

Maybe a rubber fetish is better to have than a leather fetish after all…

·
R33 GTS25
1,145 Posts
OK. I sort of screwed the underside cover half-way back on, then used a dull butter knife to press the leather (alcantara in my case) into the space beneath the underside cover.

This way I could adjust the trim as I went along.

(Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I've spent the night in a pub. ;) )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts