Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been meaning to fit some 'new' (second hand) 'speakers in the car, finally got round to starting today.

Sadly the new ones (Kicker R6) don't fit in the standard plastic housings; too deep. So, I hacked away the rear bit only to find that the screw holes don't line up at all and there's no way to frig it. :mad:

Still, at least it forces me to 'do it properly'. Now, I am a bit cack-handed so please don't rip into me for the quality of the work!

The first step should be to remove all the plastic from the rear of the original housing, so you can use this as a template...

I only did this after making the MDF parts; should've done it earlier.

I have no idea how much clearance there is behind the 'speaker hole, so I've guessed that two layers of MDF will provide enough:

All joints are glued and screwed, and I made some cable holes in the 'partition' bit so that I can mount my cross-over in the door card pocket (this should not be necessary on the passenger side as it should be able to go the other side of the partition bit):

Edit - I didn't bother doing this for the cross-overs in the end, see part two...

Gave them a bit of spray paint which may help them to resist moisture:

And that's it so far - I haven't offered it up yet, so I'm hoping it will fit!

I'll post more when I've got further... :disappointed:

(edit - see part 2)

T

·
0 Posts
Nice! Just make sure you have window clearance when they're down, other wise you'll hear an expensive glassy cracky sound thingy:dogpile: :cheers:

Happend to me once (or twice)

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm concerned about that; I did this in my last car (scooby) but there was plenty of info on the net about that one.

If necessary I can add another MDF ring to the front, but I won't know until I come round to fitting the thing (no time today).

Of course I'll post up info (you'll be pleased to know that when it's all done and dusted I may make a few sets to sell, assuming there's the demand and it's okay with BC etc.) :D :rofl:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
two layers of 18m mdf sits the speaker right up against the door card,ive even had to trim a bit of the doorcard away inside on the drivers side as the suround of my mid was touching it slightly

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previous owner(s) of mine have mounted the (rubbish) 'speaker in the door card itself! :screwy:

I'll have to get a grill from somewhere (possibly use the ones from the existing 'speakers) when I've finally mounted my new ones.

Rear ones went in no worries using the existing plastic things; I should've guessed that the fronts would be a pain (I even had to buy the plastic bits for the fronts as they were missing - yes, the bits I've hacked up and am not using...) :rofl:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I did the same thing when i fitted a set of 6.5 focals in my front doors so you should be ok. you may have to make a cover for the upper back part of the speaker to stop water from dripping on it .

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep; no gaffer-tape sculpting for me this time! :D

I'm a bit worried about moisture in the cross-over unit, but I figure that it should stay dry enough, and hopefully in use it will be warm and 'self drying'...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts