Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Always sideways
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you ask, I've used the search tab and trawled through pages and pages and pages of results without ever finding a definitive answer to my questions. So, unfortunately, you're just going to have to put with what is probably a couple of daft questions that I don't know the answers to. :slap:

I'm about to put the car in for a lot of work. I'm getting new brakes so I need to get new brake fluid. What is the best, where will I get it, how much will I need and how much should I be paying?

I will also be doing an oil-change. I know I need Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 or 5w-40, but in what quantity? Also, am I just as well to replace the oil filter while I'm at it?

Cheers in advance :)

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
Brake fluid: A dot 4 fluid would be ample.

Oil Quantity: Get yourself 2x 5 litre tubs. If you have a FMOC then you'll need at least this, if not then get them anyway as you'll then have enough for a complete change plus more if you ever need a topup.

And might I add that I was expecting something half dirty going by the thread title! :D

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
needforspeed said:
Before you ask, I've used the search tab and trawled through pages and pages and pages of results without ever finding a definitive answer to my questions. So, unfortunately, you're just going to have to put with what is probably a couple of daft questions that I don't know the answers to. :slap:
:slap: Not looking hard enough!

needforspeed said:
I'm about to put the car in for a lot of work. I'm getting new brakes so I need to get new brake fluid. What is the best, where will I get it, how much will I need and how much should I be paying?
As spearmint said, dot 4 will be fine. Can get it anywhere - halfords/ autosave / simon? Think i was about £15-20 for mine, I still have most of a 5L keg here if you need it.

needforspeed said:
I will also be doing an oil-change. I know I need Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 or 5w-40, but in what quantity? Also, am I just as well to replace the oil filter while I'm at it?
4.5L if you change the filter too which you might as well do, it's only another tenner at the most. Can get them from autosave. If simon is doing this then he will probably offer you millers oil as he is a licensed supplier. A lot of people swear by it.

Look harder next time! :slap: :)

·
Always sideways
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked pretty hard, I've nothing else to do offshore. Guess I just wasn't paying enough attention :)

If Simon stocks all that stuff then I'll just get him to add it to the workload (and the bill). I haven't spoken to him for a couple of months so he might get a bit of a shock when I tell him everything that needs doing! :)

·
Always sideways
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spearmint said:
And might I add that I was expecting something half dirty going by the thread title! :D
I figured that if I gave it a provocative title I'd get more hits and replies. Guess I was right! :)

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
needforspeed said:
I looked pretty hard, I've nothing else to do offshore. Guess I just wasn't paying enough attention :)

If Simon stocks all that stuff then I'll just get him to add it to the workload (and the bill). I haven't spoken to him for a couple of months so he might get a bit of a shock when I tell him everything that needs doing! :)
At £40 an hour, i'd be doing the easy bits like brakes and oil/ filter changes myself but it's your money!

·
Always sideways
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the old wheels need to come off anyway - new tyres onto new alloys - and lowering springs/shocks too so the brakes will be just as well getting done by him while the rest of the stuff is off in the workshop.

I'd easy do the oil filter and oil change myself, but he's supplying the oil!

Unfortunately, I just don't have time at the moment to play with the car. I'm home tomorrow from a three week trip, in Glasgow over the weekend, and then away offshore again :eek: - it's just crazy busy out here. Not that I'm complaining.......much :)

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
FYI - when I did searches that gave me too many results I just tried using one or two keywords in the Advanced Search under "Search Thread Title Only" and that really narrows down the results :cheers:

Fluid Transfer...............fnarr :D

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Spearmint said:
I must admit it did strike me as a bit strange.......

Dewie.....in a technical thread? :D
Oy - ya cheeky barstard :mad:

I know my way round my car thank you very much :uy:

Only the other day I was changing my oil.

I say changing......I was actually checking it. You know - with the Dickstip thingy.

Well.........I say I - the butler was actually doing it for me, but I helped. I helped him lift up the lid at the front - you know.....the.......er.......what's it called?!!?

I always forget this - I know the lid at the back where you put your golf clubs in is called the boot..........damn - I can't remember the name - but it's the lid that goes on top of the engine parts.

So - bet you feel silly now don't you!!! I even done the tyre pressure once too. My mum helped but I mainly did it :smoker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts