Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I ran over a pheasant and it ripped the wheel arch liner out the other week, I keep looking at the standard WMIC thinking, thats pathetic... so.. as I am quite active with the SXOC lot and loads of S13 owners stick a Volvo or Saab FMIC into theirs at the usual grand cost of about £50, I thought I would see whether it was worth going this route for a bit or not? Given how much I have spent on my car this past month :rolleyes: I thought that seemed quite reasonable and worth a weekends work to fit... obviously this would be a temporary measure until the coffers have recovered, but I just wondered what you guys thought?

Worth it or not?

Ta

Skip

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the one! :D

Cheers Niteskyr, I will use that as a kind of template! :) Dont suppose you have a pic of the engine bay side of things do you?

Ta

Skip

·
Registered
953 Posts
should go on standard engine pipework on other side of inner wing what intercooler is that ??

lee

E

·
0 Posts
Right thats it im off to a scrap yard to source the biggest intercooler i can. That looks real easy.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sweet! :)

The Volvo one is best apparently.. according to the SX lot, just ring up www.salvogroup.co.uk and tell them you want an intercooler for an S13 200SX and they will pack up and send you their usual bits (they have done so many) mate of mine paid £47 delivered! I'll take one of those please!!! :D

Its going to have to be done, especially if you can use the original pipework up to the inner wing!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I had thought that the pipework was a little long, and that the bumper might be a hindrance (standard as mine is) but well, it has to be better than the standard one, its so tiny!

The Volvo cooler has the in and out at the top on either side, just have to see I guess....

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
the bumper is no big deal, it doesnt put up much of a fight :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of interest, whos car is that in the picture above? It looks identical to mine! :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Jock Alert said:
Losing a lot thru all the pipework lads............

Not maybe better to try and find a cooler with in and out on the same side?
The only ones I know of have been custom made, as mine has. I think it's had the end tanks cut off, and an then custom end tanks fitted, so it's go the inlet and outlet on the same end. It's true, the SXOC guys fit the Saab or Volvo intercoolers. My mate paid £20 for his, but the pipe work was an extra £150 which included a specific S13 kit that changed the rad postioning and connected it via 2 (i think) brackets to the FMIC to hold it in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many years ago a friend of mine put a cut down truck intercooler in his Saab 900 turbo - it was huge - way bigger than an RS500 - (well I always thought it was till I tried to lift the one out of r32 last month - wasn't expecting it to be quite so heavy - core 700x380x115mm)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not sure about the S13 but the S14 do have the stock IC in the same place as the GTS-T but the plenum is different, it's more like a GTR/Greddy plenum so when they change it to a FMIC the pipe work goes in one end of the IC and out the other if you know what i mean so it's more like the Trust FMIC set up with out the crossover pipe

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you have a look at this photo of a 200SX engine bay i think it's an S13) you will see what i mean, from the throttle body the pipe work heads forward then over the top of the fan then down through the inner wing

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts