Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realise this has been covered, and ive read most if not all of the posts which takes hours. There is no real definitive answer. I dont want to use the brake lights, and I already have a fog light switch, however, its current function is that it works off a supply that i dont know where it comes from, maybe the battery directly. This has flattened my battery in the past week. So id like to move the feed so somewhere where the engine has to be on or maybe the sidelights at least. is there a relay point i can connect it onto, or do i have to worryingly bodge a wire into a live wire by stripping part of it. id rather not do bodge jobs in this car and keep it functional and safe.

·
i'm the daddy !!
1,198 Posts
my fog light takes a feed from my side lights, through a relay, but i don't use the brake lights, i like all the lights to light up when i put the brakes on, so i made my own by using a small LED brake light hat you get from car accessory shops and such like.

i mounted mine in my number plate so its discreet and it works great, its really bright and it passed the MOT....:)

as long as you use correct connectors and either solder or crimp the cables and fully insulate them, and use the correct fuse then there won't be any problem.

here's a couple of pics for you...

cheers

Andy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is this relay. no seems to be able to tell me how they have done it and ive searched high and low. ppl seem to just suggest using diodes and using my brake lights but im happy using the existing setup of the reverse light but just wire in the switch to some other feed as it must be just off the battery or something.

·
i'm the daddy !!
1,198 Posts
take a 12v feed from your sidelights so that your fogs cannot work without your lights on.

you get yourself a relay from halfords or somewhere like that and locate it wherever you like, mine is in the fuse box in the engine bay.

wire up the relay to a permanant 12v supply from your fuse box to power up the relay, and use your sidelight supply to switch the relay on via your existing fog light switch.

heres a simple diagram.

hope this helps

andy.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats wicked mate. you told me in 2 posts what i couldnt find in about 30....and they had more than 3 pages each lol. brilliant mate :apint:
:cheers:

·
i'm the daddy !!
1,198 Posts
thats wicked mate. you told me in 2 posts what i couldnt find in about 30....and they had more than 3 pages each lol. brilliant mate :apint:
:cheers:
no probs, thats how i did mine, it works fine, the relay will only be powered up when you put your sidelights on, so it won't drain your battery, and theres a fuse there too for your protection.

( you don't have to use a relay but this is how i did mine ).

cheers

andy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts