Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, damn silly question coming up from someone who's done something damn silly....

Got my skyline on Friday, bought with a blown turbo. Stripped out the turbo, currently sourcing a new one. Meantime, I thought I'd back-convert the rear lights to give me back the four brakelights as it originally had, but install a relay to independently switch the inner two on as fogs. This is a mod we do to the DeLorean (which also has 4 brake lights) and it passes an MOT no probs. .

Snag:

Blown a fuse somewhere and now I have no sidelights. I've been through every fuse in the box and they're all fine AFAICS. Headlights work but dash illumination/taillights/sidelights do not (ie the first "click"). This happenned after I hooked up a relay to the foglight feed installed by whoever got the car registered. It's not a major mod, and I'd expect to be able to hang a relay off this feed but it popped something. Is there an accepted way to hook up a foglight switch? The switch is next to the aerial height switch and the wiring goes off into the centre round the vent box. The feed comes out of the right rear wing.

I'm marginally stumped and before I go trying to dismantle the dash to trace the wiring I thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction!

·
Registered
97 Posts
ello m8 i had the same problem with mine, got it back home and had no dash lights, side lights so had no rear lights either, i couldnt find the fuse for them and in the end i found in in the back alongside the battery, fixed that, i too had to re wire my fog light because i didnt like the way it was done, mine had a single wire comming from it caus i had one of those dangly one hangin off the bottom of the car i changed one of the reverse lights into the fog light, i had to trace it back so i went from the light back to the dash found it no problem, i know it's not much of a help but work back form the lights to the switch or get a cable tester that beeps when u have found the other end that you are looking for! i cant realy say much without seeing for my self, i'm trying the picture it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
sidelight bulb is located in the boot next to the battery. MOT requires that the foglight switch can only operate when the lights are on, and there must be a 'tell tale' lamp to show that the foglights are on, but you can just use an illuminated switch for that. I'd take the feed from the rear sidelights or any live in the boot, mount the relay near the rear light clusters and run a switch to the relay from the cig lighter illumination feed and ground at the other end.

A

·
0 Posts
pop the column cowling off, bottom righthand wire on the light stalk multiplug (red & green) use a scotch lock to get a feed

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys rock :) I bet it's the one in the boot. I'll dive in there tomorrow. Why hanging a relay off this feed would pop it I've no idea. To clarify: There already is a mod in place, car's been in the country for ages. I've just tried to be "clever" and in the process, done something stupid! When it works, I'll let you all know. Using a standard SPDT relay, you can feed the inner brakelights form the outer brakelights when the relay is off. Turn it on (using the original switch) and feed the inners from the sidelight feed, bingo spligo, best of both worlds. And as I said, we've been doing this mod on DeLoreans for years, and never a problem at the MOT.

Of course, When it comes to a DeLorean, I have a gigantic A0 wiring diagram on the wall..........

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update for all, brakelights don't work either. I'm stumped. All the fuses in the boot are fine. I can power the sidelights manually though the foglight switch (ie back-feeding) but the brake lights don't work. What's the common factor between brake and tails? I'm not dumb with electrics but not having all the info to hand is driving me batty. I want to enjoy my car :-(

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big thanks to Andy and co, I now have a slight shade of pink on my otherwise unblemished cheeks. But it WASN'T a fuse next the battery! My sidelight fuse is under the bonnet. I hadn't found it because it was as black as a chimney-sweep's wedding tackle, labelled black on a black background. Okay, I just hadn't looked hard enough! I now have a working turbo, working lights and a full tank of Optimax. Sorry, V-Power, and the knowledge that I can outrun Dan's Esprit from 80 to 110 in 4th. On a track, of course ossifer.....

·
Likes bananas
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Came up with some vague excuse about having a top speed of blah blah, taller gears etc. Oh, and even though mine has broken today (thanks for the advice!) I'm getting no grief because in the first week of ownership, his Esprit died three times......!

Anyway, I used his AA card........ it's not like we don't hammer it enough carting DeLoreans around!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts