Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an Advent dhe2000 pc, my daughter turned it off whilst playing a game on it tonight and now is wont start up. it is trying to start normally, but just keeps restarting. anyone know a fix?

:cheers: in advance!

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
how far does it get before it restarts,

try pressing the F8 key as soon as you tuen it on just keep pressing till you get a menu up, there will be a few options try the "load last know working settings"

if you get stuck i'll have a look when i pop over tomorrow, for that turbo :D

·
Lick me - i'm chocolate!!
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how far does it get before it restarts,

try pressing the F8 key as soon as you tuen it on just keep pressing till you get a menu up, there will be a few options try the "load last know working settings"

if you get stuck i'll have a look when i pop over tomorrow, for that turbo :D
Cheers Mark.

got menu up, but it wont let me select any of the options. cant find cd either to reboot from the disc.

Keith

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you can find the CD, boot off of it (and i mean go into the setup and instead of doing a setup, press "R" and go into the recovery console). once there, log in (if you haven't set an administrator password then just hit enter when it asks for one), and when you get to the command prompt, run a "chkdsk /f" command. this has worked a number of times on clients computers and may work for you.

it will take some time so be sure to crack open a few beers while you wait.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
dj_hype speaks the truth, try that. If chkdsk and safemode won't woke the windows install/disk are FUBAR'd and you'll have to reinstall :(

·
T3cH Junk13
1,845 Posts
Assuming you have a license key for XP I can send a disc for you which is completely legal!

(Using someone elses key is illegal but the install discs are pretty much all the same).

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Bollocks, they just want money out of you :p Get a windows CD and reinstall it yourself, its not hard :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
recovery cd's are kind of good because they come with all the drivers for your computer but i would use that as a last resort. first i would try to borrow an xp disc and try the recovery console. then, if that doesn't work, try a reinstall. and if that doesn't work, pick up the recovery discs. PM me if u need a copy of XP and i can upload an ISO i have to my webserver and u can download it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am guessing this is windows XP. Whats happening is your getting a software/driver curruption some where. By default XP is set to reboot when it detects a serious error. What you need to do is get it to boot in to safe mode once windows XP is loaded you then need to go in to control panel and turn off the option that says reboot on a serious error.

Now reboot the PC sometimes this fixes the problem but 9 times out of 10 it doesnt but at least now you should get a blue screen with an error code you can then search the web to find out what that error code means theres probably someone out there that has had the same problem as you before and should have a fix for it.

Have you installed any new software on the machine recently?

·
Registered
420 Posts
The option can be found under Control panel then system and select the advanced tab under there you have startup and recovery click settings in that section and untick the box that say automaticly restart.

Once you do that PM me the error you get on reboot and I will see what I can find out for you

·
Registered
327 Posts
No way

Thanks for the help guy's! I have been told by the tec guys website i need to purchase the recovery cd for this model....
Agree with rich 34. If it doesn't work, simply take it back and say it is not fit for purpose under the 1979 sale of good act and ask for your money back. A computer should be able to compute! Watch their faces drop, then say, but I would be happy for you to take a quick look at it and fix it, if that is better for you.

These are your rights, enforce them, or just re-install. Probably go for the re-install myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts