Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an evil plan to have ago at spraying my car top secret colour. I have never used anything other than spray cans in the past, all be it with some reasonable results but since i have a access to compressors at work have decided to have a bash myself.

Questions...

1. Looking at gravity fed spray guns on ebay and they all look fairly cheap. Will pretty much any gun do the trick or can you recommend a reasonably priced one and where from?

2 Roughly how many litres of paint am i looking at to do a car? It will be a single phase if i have my terminology correct

That'll do for a start but sure more will arise in due course

:cheers:

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3. Where is the best / cheapest place to buy the consumables, paint etc from? Bearing in mind i am not a business so can't be trade only.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
We might be able to help you out on the paint and materials mate. Just let me know that paint code and what panels you are painting, so i can calculate how much you need ;)

Regards
Albert

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We might be able to help you out on the paint and materials mate. Just let me know that paint code and what panels you are painting, so i can calculate how much you need ;)

Regards
Albert
Nice one! I'll be in touch :cheers:

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
You said it was a top secret colour, so I joked that it was white, which isn't very top secret. Told you, very poor attempt at humor.....

·
Registered
801 Posts
theres a place we use at work for paint, body pannels, tools,ect called hex holdings which is very cheap they allso sell to the public. your probley looking at about 3 ltrs to do your hole car. devilbis make good gravity guns.

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the replies. Been doing a whole lot of reading so far. Not a simple thing to learn by any stretch of the imagination and seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. Will be venturing out into the real world over the next couple weeks to pester local spray shops for advice and any free supplies i can blag and also to the local scrappy to pick up a few old bonnets for some practice sessions.
I'm fairly nervous about the whole thing but also looking forward to having even some amateur spraying skills. If the worst comes to the worst I'll just be back at square one needing to put it into the shop :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
As was said Devilbis or Binks make very good gravity feed guns. They cost a few quid, but you really do get what you pay for.

Just some pointers for you when asking questions:-

Whats the pressure you need to be shooting at?

Make sure that the compressor your getting is rated at the correct CFM (cubic feet per minute) for the task you need it for.

Needle and nozzle size in the gun (depends on the type and volume of paint your using). Also the type of work your doing. The nozzle and needles will shape the spray from the gun.

Pressure regulator on the feed, so you can easily adjust the pressure to the gun (ambient temp will have an effect on this)

Water trap on the feed. Compressors produce water as its squeezed from air when its compressed. If water gets down the line, you might as well just start the whole spraying process again.

Remmember to make sure that you have enough cleaner to run through the gun when finished before you start (long story, dont ask)

Spraying is 90% prep and 10% spraying. Do the 90% before you mix the paint and you'll have a great finish.

Remember to let the water out of the compressor after everytime you use it. Of course that depends on the amount of time you have the compressor on for and the size of the compressor.

My best advise is to pop over to the breakers and grap a good sized door or bonnett to practice on. Worth every penny. (oops, just saw that your going to do this)

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts