Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right not going to be a huge post but i thought this may be handy to help others thinking of slapping a tubby on their 25de.

Background.....
Earlier this year i was offered a chance to pick up a very cheap, very clean 33 25de. I grabbed it thinking this would be a great project. After a short period i decided it needed more umph so it was either NOS or forced induction, loving my whistle i decided to add forced induction. I picked up a cheap eton 45 charger and started work, after a bit of thought i decided to switch to a tubby. I started shopping and got the following parts together

series 2 turbo
elbows
downpipe
chargepipe
lots of silicone hoses
actuator
inlet pipe
apexi filter
various hose tails & t-pieces
DET ecu
ssqv and flange
heatshields
turbo oil return
exhaust manifold
various gaskets
banjo bolts
various pipe clips and usual pointless bits
12 inch of my garden hose, yes thats right makes great oil return pipe

What i did.......
The head oil return i placed a t-piece and ran the oil return from the tubby to that, the block had the oil feed so that fed the tubby fine, Water... i removed the piece between the bleeder and the throttle body. 2 pipes ran from each end via the tubby. The actuator pipe i have run to a hosetail tapped into the crossover pipe. Waiting on a front mount i have run a 180 deg silicone bend from the tubby to the charge pipe, ECU i have swapped for a DET ecu, plugs look fine and i've regapped,

Results....
With the above on the DET ecu, on cold is a little rough but once warm runs good although can be a little aractic however once i get my boost set etc im sure will be great. At about 2-3k pulls well, very well infact compared to my last DET id say torque wise im very impressed, of course this is just butt dyno testing at the moment.

All the above on the DE ecu runs great cold and hot, however im sure the map will cause it to be very lean on boost and the last thing i want to do i melt anything etc, thus why i am running standard actuator opening pressure to be safe.

Future....
My next stages are to fit a fuel reg to bring my pressure up a tad and get the DET ecu back in and running right, i need to fit my boost controller to stablise the boost and get my FMIC on and all piped up. Probs a set of plugs is a must too before i kill these ones

heres how it looks for now, and bear in mind its testing until the rest goes in.... This is a work in progress and im posting this to inspire anyone wanting to do this to their rb25de. All in all even at this stage i am very happy with the results, im getting alot more power and its giving me a bigger smile. Once i get my FMIC in and get my charge temps down a bit it will be abit safer.

Parts left to get...
Boost gauge
MBC Valve or a controller
various FMIC pipework
Plugs
consult adapter so i can see whats going on

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very nice, I have multiple ideas as to what to do with mine but atm lack the funds for many of them. Also its A RB25DE NEO in the R34 so im not sure what complications that would cause :p.

Ike Cerro im curious as to how much would you say its cost so far?

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well costs so far are

GTST exhaust manifold - 99p
GTST downpipe - 99p
GTST charge pipe - £5
GTST Series 2 turbo etc - £100
T3 oil return - £2
hose pipe - FREE (until misses notices)
Silicone vac pipe - £5
180 silicone deg elbow - £15
SSQV - £65
SSQV Flange - £15
Turbo Inlet pipe - 88p
GTST Apexi filter - £10
Various hosetails clamps etc - £10
M12 Banjo bolts - £15
Various pipes etc - FREE from various members
GTST Ecu - £40
1 meter fuel hose - £5

Left to get and what i have budgetted
Intercooler - £150ish (£25 for a cheap wmic if needed whilst setting up)
FSE with gauge - £10/20 ish
Boost gauge - Dont know depends on make

All in all a pretty cheap mod i'd say
parts sourced from members and ebay, goofbay got me the 99p items

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got a few more bargains......

WMIC including all pipes clips brackets - £25!!! woooooo
Boost gauge, stepper motor type not an expensive defi or greddy one but £10 cant complain
Also i think i have an old SARD fse in a box

Stock DE injectors Lammy but discussing some DET ones with someone, i know im probably dangeriously lean but im driving it like a fanny till its tuned and im happy im not going to nuke a piston

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
fitted my wmic today and my spec 2 spoiler aswell so all good, feel happier knowing my act will be lower.

also had a good chin wag with skidline bit of a bummer though my jun front end wont fit his spec 2 though, my car looked well with a 400r front bumper lol

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
i'd get the fpr on there and turn it up to about 50psi whilst on tickover ,keep an eye on the sparkplug colour white is lean

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'd get the fpr on there and turn it up to about 50psi whilst on tickover ,keep an eye on the sparkplug colour white is lean
is this using the stock NA ecu? i would have thought on the DET ecu i would have to lower pressure as it seems to stutter then pull like its overfueling? I have a FPR on its way to me anyway also....

personally i think id be dropping in the 370cc det injectors and running a stock det ecu..

then retard the base timing on the CAS to 10degrees at idle..
I also have a DET ecu so whats the difference between the DE injectors and DET? also i presume you alter the CAS timing via the consult using something like Conzult?

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
only bits left to fit are a boost controller, its running standard actuator opening pressure at the moment which i will post up when i finish fitting my gauge

Feel alot happier now i have an IC in though

·
seeking to be one of thee top DE+t conversions
1,523 Posts
looking good bud, Things are coming along a fair way now :D a few of us have done this conversion and ive never looked back and been going strong for 22months :D

de injectors are a smaller capacity than the 370cc det ones. I had to upgrade these before even thinking of driving

I have some 370cc injectors if you need'em Ive upgraged to 550cc now ;)

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i could well have them off you bud and thanks, its nice to have a whoosh back lol
only one drama on my way home when i must have missed one clip when tightening up and blew an intercooler hose off lol

·
seeking to be one of thee top DE+t conversions
1,523 Posts

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
FSE fitted, intercooler and boost gauge. Injectors will be uprated this week aswelll hopefully, also waiting on my fail rail adapter to arrive so i have set the FSE to 3bar with the vac attached. Also fitted some new fuel line aas the old was very dry and as ive lifted the pressure i thought easy job to do whilst i was on, getting more resonsive all the time now.

Once i have my injectors in and adapter fitted ecu will be changed again and my local friendly MOT station said they will gas check it

·
Big computer nerd
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its a BN sports kit i think theres traders on herer that do these, side skirts and very drifty too, makes it look very angry i have a JUN front bumer of it though because i think the BN front bumper looks way too much

1 - 20 of 23 Posts