Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As brought up on the ranty section. Maybe something like this would stop so many 'USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!' posts and form a helpful guide to newbies and forgetful folks alike?

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
here here

·
erm,when will I be cool?
1,202 Posts
agreed seeing as your can't actually search a full phrase.
Or change the search system so you can look up something like "which oil do I need".

:cheers:

G

·
0 Posts
It would have to be heavily edited by 'in the know' moderators to keep it purely informative. I do think that some basic tips on how to use the forum would be handy though... like adding to old similar/identical question threads rather than starting another thread.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh, and it could include a section of abbreviations/acronyms for the technical stuff (FMIC, EIDS, SAFC, PFC, AFM, SSQV, AVCR, PESL, B/C, etc etc....)

Not that i mentioned that idea before and got ripped to pieces because I was newbie :boogy:

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
Searching phrases works fine for me, but can time out if you don't format it correctly.
I thought not being able to search phrases was a default setting for these boards? Coded like that so as not to slow the board down.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Like I said, it depends how you format it ;) I will be integrating the Google search to the site as suggested by Hi5. This should improve searching abilities within the forum as far as search criteria goes. Most people can cope with google search :)

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
The FAQ has been suggested numberous times. I don't see it working for the reasons the original poster mentioned, for the same reason that the search is not used more....... It's easier and more effortless to just ask. It's that simple!

I'm not against having a FAQ, but it needs to be implemented, verified and controlled properly. Until we can do that its not going to appear.

G

·
0 Posts
Lenny, I hear and accept all your saying, but would a note to new members mentioning some basics be easy to sort out? Or does it already happen (forgotten myself)!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly. The forum I frequent for my other car has an extensive FAQ that covers all the basic differences betwen the various models, directly swapable parts, and other newbie type issues. I have always felt this info is severely lacking in the Skyline community (speaking as a bit of a newbie).

http://www.club3g.com/forum/faq.php

·
Seasoned Member
773 Posts
I couldn't agree more with the suggestion for an abbreviation & acronym section.
As a newbie to Skylines, I might understand cars & mechanics in general, but there are so many of these sets of initials, I must spend as much time investigating what they mean as I do searching for the info I wanted in the first place !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts