Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right I have had a few pm's about these now and the effect they have on the car etc so It maybe time to have a discussion about them,

I have one fitted and I can say without doubt it has made a difference to the cars performance, I also have had the car mapped with the manifold and the outcomes were good over 420 bhp with 400 ft/lbs of torque.
so the question is If I now fitted a Greddy or Plazmaman or other mega expensive after market inlet manifold to the car would there be any improvement in hp or torque?
I doubt it with the same boost etc...
But if I went back to a std manifold I bet it would lose some though ;)
what do you guys think?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Until its on the rollers and actually tested your never truely know.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
well. matt has the same engine set us as macca apart from the inlet ( macca has a greddy inlet ) and matt's makes more power and tq. the only other difference is matt is running hks ecu not power fc.

·
Drift Moderator
1,935 Posts
Whats the difference with it mate?

Different manifolds along with other mods tweak the power curve. Longer thin runners like on most stock cars benefit low down torque but strangle high end power when you start modifying or upping the boost. Shorter / fatter ones benefit top end bigger HP but tend to lose bottom end response and power.

So if you're driving on a track at high revs all the time its good to have bigger ones but not so nice on the road.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
well the main plenum to head runners stay the same length as its only the inlet placing that changes with modding the standard one,some people are putting a small piece of tube between the throttle body and the plenum though so that might make a difference

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
well. matt has the same engine set us as macca apart from the inlet ( macca has a greddy inlet ) and matt's makes more power and tq. the only other difference is matt is running hks ecu not power fc.
You could put absolutely identical mods on two cars and they'd still make different power, every engine is different, you don't know whats going on inside, i.e scored bores, has it ever had DET, are the valves seating properly etc etc

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is all true guys, cars differ from car to car but some tuners continue to say they don't work when they obviously do and then they recomend spending a huge amount of money on a "Branded" market leader product is just a bit annoying, They have the opportunity to test these against each other but don't, we all know why? ....because the stock of these manifolds will stay as stock and not be bought.
I like the fact I have made this part and that it works well.. hey ho
I can't see me changing to a plasmaman inlet when mine works well
cheers

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Garages and tuners will always be against something which wont really earn them money.

To be fair on them as well to test a product takes time and money which lets face it in these current times is short in supply.

Also imagine the uproar if a tuner started recommending them, people started fitted them and there was a problem which no one knew about as no testing was done, the owners would go nuts.

It would be really bennifical to all of us if some products out there did get tested like the plenums, exhaust manifolds, cams etc.

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
Is there much to it ? Basically chop the part off the side of the inlet, set a plate over it and weld up....cut a hole in front of inlet and weld part on there instead >?

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
hi Matt - have you had a look at the front two sparkplugs on your car since fitting the front entry plenum? White coating on them is a sign of running a bit lean on the front two - I'd just be honestly interested in hearing what you find as my own car was running quite lean on the front 2 cylinders since fitting the front-entry plenum mod. Ben @ eurospec reckons this is down to the design/shape of the plenum forcing the air down the front 2 cyl's first. He said the back 4 were just fine tho on mine.
Anyhow if you get a chance I would really appreciate you observations - I'm gonna go with a plazmaman I think altho I may just upgrade to 34gtr now lol! :p

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have read the same....

I just went with a Freddy plenum... I bet by the time you take the labour into account my freddy is cheaper...

hi Matt - have you had a look at the front two sparkplugs on your car since fitting the front entry plenum? White coating on them is a sign of running a bit lean on the front two - I'd just be honestly interested in hearing what you find as my own car was running quite lean on the front 2 cylinders since fitting the front-entry plenum mod. Ben @ eurospec reckons this is down to the design/shape of the plenum forcing the air down the front 2 cyl's first. He said the back 4 were just fine tho on mine.
Anyhow if you get a chance I would really appreciate you observations - I'm gonna go with a plazmaman I think altho I may just upgrade to 34gtr now lol! :p

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
nope no whitening at all if anything they are all just over fueling a small amount :)
no issues what so ever, I don't see how a plasmaman manifold can be any better when it uses the same bottom of the manifold and there are no issues with these.
It makes no difference where the air comes from as it's under pressure its the charge temp and run of pipe work that makes the differance, The Supra's use this type of manifold , so does 16v cosworth
etc etc etc yadi yadi yadi ya, mine would just not make the hp if it was running lean at all, I can provide pics again but I will make people eat them daily :D
cheers
Matt

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
According to the skyline Australia website it basically says all manifold are poor,
oh apart from the ones he sells .... funny that :)
I have had the manifold on for a considerable amount of time, It's still running well, I don't have any "white" plugs ever just nicely grey,
TBH it's a personal choice,
If I had the money I would run individual jenveys with a sealed airbox but thats just me lol

1 - 20 of 60 Posts