Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well people I have held it off for as long as possible but looks like the love of my life is going to have to go.

I have given it loads of consideration and given a choice would much prefer to sell a kidney or family member but the fuel costs are crippling me.

I have decided to sell my skyline :disappointed:

Shite time of year etc but cant see any other choice really.
I have a track day car which is starting to cost me money (all worth it) and just cannot justify both - thats a lie, I can but LLoyds Tsb can't.

Might be selling my 666 SKY plate seperatly if anyone is after one!! (2000 plate)

Im guessing nearly all of you are feeling the petrol strain?
I filled up at Shell in Northampton yesterday and it cost me £57.00. I nearly cried at the pump. Especially as I know I will be filling it up again on Monday.

·
4,143 Posts
thats such a shame.i know how you feel im not getting better than 12 mpg at the moment and everything is going wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I've started going to Tescos for 99 RON now. Shell is charging flipping 105p a liter for V power, tecos 99 RON is just over £1

All those 5p's add up after a while.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i know how you feel my second car is a 730i bmw not quite as juicy as the skyline but pretty close

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
yea it does add up, i do nearly 300 miles a week in mine! but then i wouldent have it any other way, plus my work drive is nice n steady and can normally average 15p to 16p a mile, meaning i normally spend £50 ish a week on fuel, all depends how you drive i guess, mine is standard and staying that way now.

but then i have my dream car so cant complain! (at least untill i get a GTR!)

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
299 Posts
lpg is great.. ask me for details.. power is great (i'd race you if you dont believe me)

·
Registered
84 Posts
:( Be such a shame to sell due to fuel costs :(
what is the adverage Miles Per Gallon/Litre on a skyline if u drive sensible?

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,702 Posts
i regret the day i sold my old one due to fuel costs - mine was horribly overfueling and it was costing me approx 500-600euro a month

thats why im getting another one lol, dont need to do that mileage any more so it should be alot less!!

·
R32 2 R33 2 R34 ZTUNE PLZ
382 Posts
Why not go for a non turbo version for a while you still get the looks great mpg and its a skyline.We had one a while ago and enjoyed it alot,and hardly drunk any juice.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Don't sell her because of fuel costs, you'll be gutted! Is there no way at all you could afford to put even a crappy old banger on the road to get you around during the week?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mines costing me loads of money and i dont drive it much i get about 150ish miles to a tank full (and thats driving it sensibly) .... i wont be keeping mine for ages for the same reason as when i get a house i wont be able to even get the car a new bulb lol ... shame to see your car is going looks great in the photo... love the colour

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Mine isn't really tuned that much, but I get around 200 to a tank, Well did before fitting the Mines ECU I think I would get around 250miles as fuelling is spot on now :D

IF you need to think about fuel costs buying a skyline or anything above 2ltr with a turbo is just not worth it.

Luckily Mine is a second car and sort of a hobbie, I chuck a tank full in and waste it when I like. sits on the drive most days.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Oh man thats just wrong I feel for you

But really think about the LPG convertion or even get a **** box to drive around in during the week.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
My wife has the RB25DE (non turbo) GTS/S type with approx 200 BHP out of the box, and with a few basic mod's it's quite nippy, but returns good MPG.

Originally in standard form it returned around 24 MPG driven sensibly, 21 if driven hard, since the few mods it produces around 230 BHP and returns 20.5 MPG local work and 24+ on runs, it can drop to 19.5 MPG if driven hard frequently.

It now has Nismo panel filter replacement, a secondary cold air feed straight into the standard airbox, sports cat, (previously with decat we had several BHP more) Iridiums and Splitfires. The dual mode back box is sorted to provide straight through performance on demand, freeing up some of the extra air input. Oh, and don't forget a high quality lube, Silkolene 5/40 for us, which in addition to it's known qualities can allow the engine to produce an extra 5 or 6 BHP.

That done Nos is the way to go, so a used WON system was procured with 50jets at a cost of £250, trust me when I tell you you will not miss the turbo's! The beauty is that unlike turbo's you can switch the extra power on and off as required, so overall running cost is far less than a turbo. She used almost a 37kg cylinder of NOS last year, at a cost of around £235, which is a small price to pay for the power it provides when required. With the NOS she has around 280 BHP on tap, without the overheads of a turbo, we like it a lot.

Brakes have been upgraded with larger discs and calipers plus fast road pads, a master cylinder stopper and race fluid completed the braking upgrade. And with strut braces fitted along with 18" wheels and low profiles, the theory is that all of the available power can be used to the limits of the drivers capability as handling and stopping are also improved.

She's had some fairly tasty motors over the years but loves how she can push the Skyline to her limits safely,

Finally, a good clean N/A can be had from around 3k, the mods add another 1k max, but look for the S type GTS which has an extra 10BHP over the standard N/A, and every little counts!

Aitch

·
wanabee 200mph club
571 Posts
buy a cheap run around and keep the skyline
we have the gtr as a weekend car and use ma 200 sx turbo or our audi 100 for driving around any other time
im getting around 120miles to a full tank but wont get rid of the skyline as it took me long enough to get it or should i say the wife to get it lol :rofl:

keep it if you can afford to as you will regrett selling it :shakehead:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
v power

Im in florida at the mo and v power is 2.89 bucks which is £1.50:spank: , so basically our gov are ripping us off:Uzi: , basically all us drivers in the uk are subing dolers and the others,:Uzi: like it or lump it. Mate buy a cheap run around and save the sky for the weekend (if you can afford ) or buy a cheapie and dont tax it, insure it, dont mot IT and nick the fuel like most do in the uk (rant over) , keep it mate you'll be gutted:disappointed: in a few months if you sell.

shed

·
BEDFORDSHIRE......
999 Posts
I have been thinking about getting rid of my 300ZX for a while. It returns me about 15 MPG normal driving and around 8MPG driving how Nissan intended. I have had about 20MPG on a long motorway run. Thats almost as much as a Virgin jet. I dont feel bad about the Ozone layer though. Selfish git. But hey....Fook 'em. You only live once? So I might as well keep the booger now for =the odd sunday run?
My N/A GTS returned me 300KHM's on £30 worth of super U on my first real run to Lake Side Thats about 10 miles to a litre so 25 MPG on a run. I think I might stick with it TBH I can live with that and it isnt slow by no means. Especially now I have heard how you turbo'd Owners are suffering with empty wallets/Purses. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts