Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive got a warlboro uprated fuel pump, i tried fitting it today but i noticed that the wires would have to be connected inside the fuel tank.
which means it would have a positive and negative connection in the fuel.
also the wires were connected to the fuel by an open plug.
now i might be wrong but the last time i looked electricity and petrol dont mix.
or is the power level too low.
any ideas out there

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know what i mean then all you get is a female twin connector that connects to the pump and wires that are not long enough.
how have you connected it ?

·
Registered
441 Posts
the wires being inside the tank makes naff all odds because as long as they don't touch anything, there'll be no spark. Just solder them and use a crimp connector over the top to take out the bare metal - either that or you can solder them directly to the tank hanger

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wouldn't use a block connector personally, I'd use crimps if anything - reason I say that is that I have seen a block connector dissolve in the petrol just leaving the metal behind, which again didn't cause a problem because nothing touched so no spark - but it's not advisable ;)

The best way to do it is to solder directly to the where the wires for the standard pump come down from the hanger top, that way there's nothing that can go wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your help buddy.
one thing did concern me though is the pump and frame suppose to be floating free in the tank or connected to something.
sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
441 Posts
it should sit in the bracket snugly at the bottom (it has a rubber mount) and be held at the top by the fuel hose that runs to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
pump bracket

it should sit in the bracket snugly at the bottom (it has a rubber mount) and be held at the top by the fuel hose that runs to it.
No, in the R33 the pump bracket slides into its mount which is located at the forward face of the tank. Almost impossible to see via that bung hole, but you can understand the idea when you check out the pump bracket. That slotted tongue fits into a mating slot, and then the little locking tab snaps home. If you don't get it fitting properly, you won't be able to draw all the fuel from the tank.

Make sure your wiring and connectors are properly done and there is no problem immersing the wires in fuel.

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
I fitted a walbro to mine last week. The wires for the stock pump are exposed where they're soldered onto the lugs on the hanger unit, so I just took those off and soldered mine on there. Not had any issues so far, although I've not filled the tank right up yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts