Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to go for big hp and want to know the best (but cost effective) way to feed the beast, I was thinking of bosch 044 and swirl pot but i thin that is going to cos ttoo much for now. I then found this...

"This is the popular Bosch Motorsports "044" fuel pump, as used by Japanese European & Australian tuner shops, JGTC cars, Touring cars, almost all WRC cars, and many more. Quite possibly, the most popular aftermarket fuel pump. Capable of providing 300 LPH free flow and 200 LPH at 5 bar (or 72.5 psi) for up to 685 BHP. In comparison, the Walbro GSS341 255 "high pressure" fuel pump can support 390 BHP Note: Values calculated at 12V, 3 bar (43.5 psi) base fuel pressure, 2 bar (29 psi) boost pressure, 1:1 fuel pressure regulator ratio. These are inline fuel pumps, we recommend they be installed between the factory (or another aftermarket) in-tank fuel pump, and the fuel rail. These may be installed in the fuel tank, but some custom fabrication will usually be required. In addition, feeding these inline pumps with another pump (in series), will boost the output of the Bosch 044 fuel pump even higher."

does this mean I can leave the standard pump in and just wire this in series as well? has anyone done this as I have not heard of it before but would be much simpler (I know not as good as running a swirl pot but will be a road car so swirl pot could be over kill anyway)

thoughts and opinions gratefully accepted.

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
I would just fit a Tomei fuel pump in the tank. Rated at 290 lph. RB Motorsport has them in stock. This pump will support over 600hp.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Or maybe a 300zx twin turbo fuel pump? Should be well up for the job. Looking at one of these when i need a better one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the 300zx is supposed to be better than the gtr but I want it to be future proof so 600-650 safe and I was under the impression they run out at 550

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
300zx fuel pump wont be up for the job of 600+bhp id go with the bosch motorsport 044 that you mention bud and run it with either GTR or 300zx fuel pump.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers bud, was pretty much my plan just not heard of them being run in series like that... will make it lots easier to plumb in. will catch up with you soon chap.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fuel pump

Let us know how you get on with it.

I have a HKS 280ltr in tank pump as a direct replacement at the moment and I am thinking of adding a second at some point.

Only problem is how do you monitor one of them has not failed and you are going to run lean. Ouch... thats going to cost money.......

Have been looking at electric fuel gauges but not found anything yet,

Anyone else done anything or got any ideas on this?

Kev

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
The only reason I said fit the Tomei pump was it save hacking the fuel system around. Just swap the pump in the tank....job done. Yes, I'll admit the cost will be double, but it will a lot less of a hassle, no pipe work to do, no heavy duty wiring and relays to install.

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
It covers the fuel system in the August 2007 edition of REDLINE,pretty much covers everything.On reading the article it ses,quote;''when going for big power,its quite common to add a 2nd fuel pump to keep up with the required flow,but this has potential risk that you should be aware of.If 1 fuel pump fails,the single pump will not be able to keep up with the required flow rates,so pressure will drop,the car will run lean,and the engine will fail.If you had a large,single fuel pump capable of the required flow,youd be in a lot less danger of engine damage because generally a pump will simply stop working if it fails.The car will then just stall with NO engine damage occuring'' think if i go for more power this article has just convinced me to have a single fuel pump,hope this helps :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
fuel system

Exactly why I have the 280ltr HKS pump.

But it all depends on whether it will hande the power you are after. You can also up the voltage to the pump to get a little more out of it as well.

If you do need a second pump it is essential to monitor the fuel pressure and the only way I knwo to do this from inside the car is with an electronic fuel gauge. These tend to be expensive and so far I haven't been able to find enough info out about them to look at fitting one.

I am looking at adding a mechanical fuel gauge under the bonnet just so I know it is the correct pressure on a regular basis if anyone knows how I do this please let me know. I have seen littlet mechanical gauges for sale and are reasonabley cheap but I don't know if theey are specific to fuel reg's

I currently have a Nisme fuel reg.

Kev

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fuel

Hi Lee

I have a AFR meter etc.. But really need something that will show fuel pressure as by the time the you pick up the AFR it will be too late.... and i dont want to run swirl pots and all the other gubbings in the boot.

Need some immediate warning of fuel pressure drop

Depending on horsepower though, looking at around 600ish i reckon 2 x 280ltr fuel pumps should be enough, if one fails the other should be ok.

Thanks for the info on that Rockabilly :)

Kev

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm ok I might have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of that redline then... maybe I will go for the swirl pot then after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts