Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is important or not but when i fill up with petrol i used to get a nice pppsssssshhhhh noise when i took the cap off but the last few fill ups ive noticed that its stopped happening. Does it matter? Have i got a leak somewhere & losing the pressure (not noticed a puddle or smell)
Is there a seal on the petrol cap that might be worn?
Im just curious really & wondering if it matters at all?

·
Banned
5,443 Posts
Same happened to me when top half of engine was taken out of the Celica. Took the petrol cap off (cant remember why now) and no pppsssssshhhhh noise.

Have you checked if your engine is still there?

:D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i`ll just go n have a ganders ok. Is that the big thing under the bonnet? Wondered what it was.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
i get the pssht too

i might be imagining it but it seems louder if iv filled the tank and then driven till its empty before filling again

this lead me to believe it because the tank is semi air tight (by design?) making a partial vacume in the tank as fuel is sucked out and air cant get in.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh thats what i thought & how i used to get it but now theres no noise at all. Wondering if ive got a slight leak on a seal. Dont know if it makes much difference or not.
Maybe a clever person can tell us?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you cant smell petrol dont worry .
as said the pissst noice is vacuum,if any thing it means your fuel pump has 2 work less hard .
Thats the way i would figure it.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds logical. Just never had the pssst noise on any other car ive owned & wondered if no vacuum would affect the fuel pressure in any way, well in a bad way really? still waiting for a cleverererer person.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Its heat related pressure I believe. Either the cold or the heat causes a pressure buildup (fuel vapour and air) which is vented when you open the tank.

Thats my theory, anyway.

I'll sit and wait for someone cleverer too.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats the best answer yet Jock & sounds like it could be right. Gold star is pending.
Anyone care to add?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Well Sometimes I get the ptsch noise and other times I don't with mine it seems to be something to do with how full the tank is when I fill it. The more fuel there is in the tank the less noise there is however when the tank is almost completely empty it has the opposite effect and makes no noise at all. Don't know why it happens but I shouldn't worry about it. I got it on my GTS-T and on my Supra and my mate gets it on his Pulsar.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I agree with Jock, it's probably a heat thing.

Try pointing a blowtorch at the bottom of your tank, I'm sure you'll soon get a Psshhh noise again :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts