Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so impressed today I thought I would share this with you lot... as everyone is always complaining about the fuel consumption on the skyline..

I went to brum today and filled up at the garage before leaving "The area" turned the boost down to .9 and went on my merry way at an average speed of about 75ish.. anyway ..got to brum and saw that I had done 125 miles on Quarter of a tank, did what I had to do and set off home.. got back home this evening and took another look and had done a total of 310 mles to the tank full = £38.73 to top it up again.. The fuel warning light hadn't even come on ,this was with chasing to motorbikes up the M40 and a red porsche GT3 on the way home... To say I was very supprised at the consumption is an understatment... bodes well for driving to TOTB...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
:eek: :eek: How on earth did that happen!! Nice one Paul, wish I could get over 300 miles to one tank.. :( Just wont happen with my driving! :rolleyes:

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the thing... I only used 1/4 tank to get to billing as well..

Today I turned down the boost.. no traffic so throttle was ina constant position, ( ecept one or two times ) no traffic so no stop starting.. I was so impressed.. usualy I get 180 to the tank when I hoon it around.. so I maybe the slowest GTR on the planet soon.. saying that I did average 75mph.. just no boost and constant..

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also

Used all the trucks to slip stream along the way..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Its this Saturday isnt it Richard? I am working I am afraid, I only just managed to get last Saturday off :(

Next time I will, its only a 7 hour round trip... :rolleyes:

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car is mapped for super unleaded.. but I treat it to a tank full of optimax every now and then

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
That's some going Paul. Amazing what slipstreaming can do!

Occasionally I say right, this tankfull will be sipped and I won't give it any heavy foot but you all know what happens...

Next visit to Rods i'll take it easy all the way and see what I can get.

Mostly Optimax as it's cheaper that SUL. Don't notice any difference in go though.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm... The 20% or so of the time that I don't use optimax, I use Texaco SUL, and must admit it does feel 'different'. I often think it feels better, but not quite sure, it may just be psychological.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
What's the method for getting it remapped for Optimax or Super Unleaded ? Are we talking new ECU, or is the standard one reprogrammable ? (sorry complete newbie here)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think that it helps if you reset the ECU after you have put a tank of your favourite juice in and then drive it like it was stolen. The ECU 'learns' the new settings that it loses over time and should run better. Probably a good idea to stick with the chosen fuel for some time then so as it doesnt get confused early on.

To reset the ECU, disconnect the battery, stand on the brakes a few times to get rid of all the residual charge, reconnect the battery and you're off.

I think this will help, but I stand to be corrected...

Cheers,
Pad

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The ECU gets remapped (reprogrammed). Essentially, you kinda need an aftermarket one. You could get a replacement chip mapped out and put in the existing ECU, but you'd still be working with, in my case, technology from 1990 (or probably earlier). Newer kit like PowerFC and F-CON can process data much faster, and control more parameters more accurately, than standard ECUs.

Ok, done semi hijacking.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
As Pad says, you can make the ECU re-learn, although a re-map on an aftermarket ECU will produce much better results.

Resetting the ECU will allow it to make larger timing adjustments, as it is continually playing with the ignition timing, air/fuel ratio etc etc based upon data it receives from sensors such as a Knock detector, crank angle, air temperature, lambda (o2 sensor - senses whats coming out the exhaust), and some others.

However, it can only work within the fairly limited parameters (maps) that MR Nissan gave it.

N

·
0 Posts
on the note of fuel consumtion , i went to blackpool this w/e , a round trip of 677 miles cost £90 optimax, mostly 70 - 80 mph stuff ,i thought this was quite acceptable .

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would have been happy with that.. as I say , I will now be the slowest GTR driver around.. save the earth n all that

1 - 20 of 27 Posts