Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been meaning to post about this for a while now, so here goes....

When accelerating, my car has a strange behaviour.

If I floor the throttle all the way to 7000, then all is well and she accelerates fine thru all gears, rather rapidly. However, if I back off the throttle a bit, and hold it between 35% and 45%, the car seems to accelerate faster. I can feel almost a surge as I back off.

Its most noticeable over 4000 and below 6000rpm, and in 3rd and 4th gears, but largely happens in all gears.

I presume its something to so with the fuelling. AFR guage sits happily near the top of the 'RICH' band when accelerating, and doesn't move til I move the loud pedal.

Anyone got any ideas? Too rich maybe?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I've had this in a couple of cars that are tuned above standard. Including my old capri. It accelerated faster if I wasn't full on the throttle. I think my GTR does it too.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I can only think maybe mods make the car want to fuel more but the existing fuel injection pipes are too restrictive to allow it to do so and therefore somehow ****s up the throttle effectiveness.

Or of course it could all be bollox. lol

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Mine has restrictor fitted in the exhaust and I get the same thing at 5000rpm. If I floor it the car accelerates quickly until 5000 then I feel a "surge" so I back off a little and it seems to accelerate harder (even though I've backed off). Bloody odd!

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Surely someone must know the technical reason for this?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Odd.. I have a straight thru Hyper system, and a custom turbo elbow as well, so no restrictions unless its in the manifold....

I get a small surge of power when I back off the throttle, not before hand....

Strange....

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
SOMEONE TELL US THE ANSWER!!!! please. hehe

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably the answer is with the foot on the floor and a primitive ECU system the car is physically putting in more fuel than it can possibly hope to burn..... In which case the answer would be get a new ECU (powerFC) or get a decent fuellling setup.

Hoping thats not the answer, but fear it will be.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Yeah now that you've said it it makes expensive sense don't it.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Haven't had mine checked but when my mates went on his pulsar he noticed an increase in his fuel consumption by almost half.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
hmmmmmmmm. Well my Iridiums should arrive tomorrow. I've been told they can increase your fuel economy and reduce consumption so if they have this effect I'll assume the Lambda is ok and if not maybe get it checked.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Did you notice an increase in power or a smoother idle etc?

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
i'll add my name to the "my car goes faster when I lift off a bit" list, scirocco does it, my old carb golf, my mums volvo , why ?

@r32gtr, the iridiums seemed to make mine go faster but then i'm not much judge, if i dont drive it for a week i forget just how fast it is :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts