Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everybody. My name is Jesse and I live in Virginia, USA. I'm beginning the research process of importing an R33 GTR now that they've reached the magic 25 year mark. I've always been in love with Skylines (and all other 90's Japanese cars) ever since my early days on Gran Turismo haha. If I'm completely honest, I'm more of a Honda guy, but I do own an Corvette Z06 that's had "a little" work done. I have a daughter (now 6 years old) and the whole 2-seater thing doesn't really make much sense at this point in my life. It would be awesome to have a performance car with 4 seats and I'm not really into other American cars, so I figured, "what the hell, let's do something stupid and try to import a GTR!". So I'll be around here gathering information on all Skylines (in case I change my mind on the R33), and I hope to be around long after I make my purchase! Any help or advice you guys could offer, I'd be eternally grateful! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap, I had no idea there was a shop in VA. I'll be sure to check them out, thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wish you all the best with your purchase. Been living in Japan for over 10 years and I can say the R33s are a much better overall car than the R32. The cheapest way to get one is to import it yourself. Some things to definitely be weary of on the R33s are strut towers. These often rust out and to properly fix it, it will cost you over $3,000. In general, take your time to make sure you get a nice one.
The price of R33 GTRs in Japan has really gone up a lot over the last few years. Right now, you can expect to pay around 3,000,000 yen for a fairly nice one. You might be able to find a cheaper one in auction - around 2,500,000 yen, but you should have it checked if you want to make sure that there are no major issues. I have seen them sell for less too - around 2,000,000 yen - but at that price usually there will be issues so it's always better to pay a bit more and get a good one. Parts have become rare and expensive as well. Just to give you an idea of the steep rise in prices, I sold a midnight purple R33 GTR for 1,000,000 yen about 5 years ago and sold my black one for 2,200,000 two years ago. You can no longer get them for these prices. I am not sure what they go for in America, but if you are looking to save money, just import one yourself. It's pretty easy to do.
Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up, dude. I was looking into importing one myself, but I've found multiple dealers that do the leg work for you and I'm leaning more toward that route. I'm willing to pay more and be able to actually test drive the car and see it before purchasing. Something about buying a car sight-unseen makes me nervous as hell I've seen multiple R32 GTRs selling here for around 35k, so I imagine an R33 would be about 40k. For that reason, I've been leaning towards checking out a GTST or something of a lower model. We'll see...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts