Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have bought a g35's battery cover from the usa and i went to fit it bu there dsnt seem to be the holes where there needs to be etc, just wondering if anyone else has bought one and fitted it? If so what did you have to do when putting it on? In terms of drilling holes or seals to be moved etc

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Nick
I got one from USA last year off a G35.
Because it's directly off the car you don't get the usual kit with it.

I had to trim the metal bulk head part that sections off the brake fluid section of bay and the cover itself.

I did this after realising the bonnet won't shut properly if you don't trim both the cover and the metal wall.

It's trial and error, I actually folded the metal over to creat a solid lip. Although some take a dremel to it.

I'm still needing to make bracket that supports part of the cover but it fits nicely with out at the moment.

It all needs tidying up but it was getting cold back end of last year so I'll be sorting it shortly.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool! Just wanted to be sure that id have to make some modification before just jumping in nd finding out there was something i was missing, ill take a look at it in a few weeks then probably, ill let yiu know how it ends up once ive given it a go, just got so many things to do with the car nd such limited time and money!!!

Think i win on the lottery is about due some time soon 😂😂

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok cool! Just wanted to be sure that id have to make some modification before just jumping in nd finding out there was something i was missing, ill take a look at it in a few weeks then probably, ill let yiu know how it ends up once ive given it a go, just got so many things to do with the car nd such limited time and money!!!

Think i win on the lottery is about due some time soon

That's what happened to me really, for some reason I thought it would be a 5 min job but as always it wasn't . Will I ever learn

I feel your pain on the work that needs to be done, I've now have banana arms to sort.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I replaced the bushes in the front lower control arms along with drop links and ARB bushes.

The banana arms connect from subframe to hub via a ball joint.

There well known for failing at around 40k, you notice because your hear a knocking when the bushes start to fail.

Mine are starting to knock.

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
Just about Finished fitting my engine bay covers,i had to also bend the metal down to fit the cover, I needed to paint the cracked paint some undercoat and a little touch up paint from halfords to sort it not that you would ever see the cracked paint under the cover.

I'm going to stick the cover to the metal lip with black double sided sticky strips.

I had my covers hydro dipped and gave the dipper free rein on the colour etc, we didn't want a see a dark sea of carbon under and bonnet and I think he did well.

The plan next is maybe do the plenum and Intake in carbon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That looks good.

Glad I'm not the only one who bent the metal back

Are you going to go for a polished plenum or paint it?

Looks good with strut bar as well, reminds me I need to source one at some stage.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good! What do you mean when you say you had to bend the metal? What bit? You got any pics to show?,

I think that would go nicely!! Im thinking black gloss finish with white parts in between kinda thing

·
4,159 Posts
Thanks I'm happy with it.

The plan is to paint the plenum for now and then at some point have it and the intake pipe carbon dipped.

Nick when you remove the rubber seal and get the g35 cover on you'll see that it sits too high, you have to bend the metal lip of the section under it, very easy to do and about a 5-10 mins job really as it's very thin.. Makes a good lip to sit the cover on.

The strut bar was from eBay USA - it's a Megan racing one and really well priced..

·
Registered
107 Posts
From memory I think it sits about half an inch too high.

I filed part of the plastic lip on the cover itself, then carefully used a pair of pliers to fold over the metal and create a lip. I then treated with hamerite to protect from rust.

I also remember having to cut some sections out of cover to fit around where the pipes go through.

I also got some universal door seal strips with 3m tape on back which cushions the cover and finishes of the bent metal from the engine side.

Too be honest it's like all mods, if I had to do it again the results may have been even better.

Take your time and keep testing it by closing bonnet to check clearance.

You can check where the rubber seal on top of the passenger side battery cover meets the seal that runs along scuttle panel and use this a guideline for were the seal on top of the G35 cover also needs to meet at same height.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok cool! Ive got it! Ill have to take a look before japfest then, see if i can get it on for then along with a few other things!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok cool! Ive got it! Ill have to take a look before japfest then, see if i can get it on for then along with a few other things!!!

Thanks!!!

You'll be able to sort no probs. That metal part of the firewall is quite thin so it's not too hard to do.

I folded it in towards the brake fluid side of the panel so you can't see it from engine bay side once the cover is fitted.

The paint will most likely flake to reveal bare metal so you will need to paint it afterwards.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ill probably use a heat gun on it, try and get the paint a bit more pliable like when rolling the arches, hopefully avoid the paint flaking as much

·
4,159 Posts
Why didn't someone think of that before .. ��Hopefully get my car back on the road next week can't wait ...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts