Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I remeber one guy a while back had a maroon 33 GTS with an LPG convertion done , can't remember his name though - hope he's still about.

Andy

·
Registered
387 Posts
Gas

Hi, I have a r33 gtst running on LPG got it done about six month ago, you loose about 5% power but get around 45 to the gal equivalent around the town so it has paid for its self.
my last car was a vectra sri duel fuel getting about the same results.:grinno: :eek:

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
why would it be a joke?

i've have driven a gtst with LPG conversion and I couldnt really tell the difference. It sounded the same, went just as well as a stock gtst (it was stock).

Worth it if you have a station selling autogas near you and you want to save some cash, but unfortunately for most of us gas isnt readily avilabel :(

·
Registered
359 Posts
You dont need a CAT to pass the MOT if you run on LPG..... Take it off and you will not notice the drop in power. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Exactly, if you can get gas then fine, but I don't know of anyone local who sells it! You can only save money if you can get the stuff, how 'widely available' is it? If it's not then the cost of conversion just isn't worth it!

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
the main thing is to get it done properly,im totaly p1ssed of with idiots fitting intake fogger systems to fuel injected cars/vans

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back up again, I was going to sell my Stagea untill i screwed my head on:screwy: . Got a price for a gas conversion as my dad had his 4.6L range rover done and its no different! £1600 and with the mileage i do it would pay for itself in 12 months! The systems they use are that refined now that they are pretty much fool proof. Plus its all under warrenty anyway! Loads of places to get gas round mine so the Stag could fight on for a while longer now!! :smoker:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I worked out that im only getting 15.8mpg average, with the gas it would be more like 32mpg maybe more due to the price difference! plus it currently costs more than £60 every fill up. LPG= £20 (roughly depending what size tank). The only downside for you though is where to put the tank! A doughnut tank is prefered which takes up your spare wheel well. Or a cylinder tank which would take up your rather poo sized boot!! I luckily dont have that problem unless im planning to live in the back of mine! If you type in lpg conversions in GOOGLE, some of the big sites have a decent calulator you can use. Even tells you how many months it would take to pay for itself!!

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
is it a fogger or proper injetion system?,if its a fogger you will be forever plagued with problems

·
Registered
118 Posts
That i could not tell you! I aint got it yet as still looking into it! Explain??

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
£1600 seems very cheap for a proper injection lpg conversion to me

Cheap systems use a fogger that sits in the intake and uses vacum to draw lpg,obviously thats no use on a computer controlled fuel injected engine,lots of poeple get fooled into going this route and get put off because it never funtions right

·
Registered
118 Posts
No think it was the proper one but i will check, Reason being that he was talking about the fuel set up and injectors etc. Will check it out tomorrow if they are open. £1600 sounds cheap but my dad got his range rover done at an expensive place, massive tank, and a quality job for only £2500. Not a great deal difference in price really considering the size of the engine! (and the fact that unlike my dad i look into getting it done cheaper somewhere else!)

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
I worked out that im only getting 15.8mpg average, with the gas it would be more like 32mpg maybe more due to the price difference! plus it currently costs more than £60 every fill up. LPG= £20 (roughly depending what size tank). The only downside for you though is where to put the tank! A doughnut tank is prefered which takes up your spare wheel well. Or a cylinder tank which would take up your rather poo sized boot!! I luckily dont have that problem unless im planning to live in the back of mine! If you type in lpg conversions in GOOGLE, some of the big sites have a decent calulator you can use. Even tells you how many months it would take to pay for itself!!
First of all theres something wrong if your getting 15/16 mpg.
My RB26 stagea is better than that and its got 400+ bhp even with a heavy foot ( which is most of the time ) it never goes lower than 15.

Low mpg does not mean its knackered . O2 sensor is a likely culprit plus they also seem to run much better after being properly serviced and mapped on uk fuel.

It would be interesting to see the results if you go for the conversion

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeh someone else mentioned the o2 sensor, where abouts is it located or is it same as the lamba sensor??
The mpg, 60litres of fuel round town most of week, get about 220miles before light is back on! :40oz:
As for the other question about the type of conversion, Spoke to the garage and it is the Sequential system, as used by almost all converters now. Told me himself to stay well away from the old type (fogger) as well dodgy!!
Sounds like a few people are keen for me to be the guinea pig on this one! Maybe i could get sponsorship! :rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts