Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car ran great the first day we got it. Two days later just stalled like it was starving for gas.
Timing is good, spark is blue and good gas flow from the fuel filter.

Does anyone know where to take a fuel pressure test? Before the filter? After fuel regulator? Fuel rail?
Theres not much online about these motors
93 GTS-T Coupe

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not a lot online about these motors? Isn't it an RB25DET? There's loads of resources online relating to these motors. Much to be found trawling through old threads on here and on the Aussie owners site RB Series - R31, R32, R33, R34 (1986-2002).
Takes a bit of digging but you will usually find what you are looking for.
I might be wrong but I think the best place to check fuel pressure is between the filter and the fuel rail. Pretty sure you can Google this. These things have been around for a long time now so you tend to find most problems you encounter have been encountered by others in the past.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Between filter and fuel rail...got it. But before the fuel regulator? My son , who actually owns this car, thought after the regulator. But I don't see how to do that.or if that's even possible

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not a lot online about these motors? Isn't it an RB25DET? There's loads of resources online relating to these motors. Much to be found trawling through old threads on here and on the Aussie owners site RB Series - R31, R32, R33, R34 (1986-2002).
Takes a bit of digging but you will usually find what you are looking for.
I might be wrong but I think the best place to check fuel pressure is between the filter and the fuel rail. Pretty sure you can Google this. These things have been around for a long time now so you tend to find most problems you encounter have been encountered by others in the past.
It's an RB20

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put a fuel gauge between the fuel filter and fuel regulator. Cranked it up and read 10 pounds. The vehicle obviously didn't start. Is this correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My sons had issues after we got it home also.
Ended up being a intermittent coilpack issue.
We replaced every filter, changed the plugs, coilpacks and flushed everything. We also went over all the forums and websites and started one by one knocking out potential age related issues like solder joints on AFM.

I ordered a set of ebay coilpacks. solved the problem instantly. It took a year for 1 of them to stop working. After replacing 1 still have 5 spares.

If you have gas and spark your issue has to be air. It is there the car just cant see it(bad or dirty sensor)

Im not an expert by any means.
But did have similar issues with my sons 95 gtst

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My sons had issues after we got it home also.
Ended up being a intermittent coilpack issue.
We replaced every filter, changed the plugs, coilpacks and flushed everything. We also went over all the forums and websites and started one by one knocking out potential age related issues like solder joints on AFM.

I ordered a set of ebay coilpacks. solved the problem instantly. It took a year for 1 of them to stop working. After replacing 1 still have 5 spares.

If you have gas and spark your issue has to be air. It is there the car just cant see it(bad or dirty sensor)

Im not an expert by any means.
But did have similar issues with my sons 95 gtst
Thanks for the reply
Like I posted above I put a fuel gauge between the fuel filter and regulator valve . Got 10psi.
One thing I noticed when pulling the line is it was bone dry. I pulled it from the regulator and expected to see some fuel drip out but nothing. When we cranked it for the test the car fired up for a second then just continued trying to start.
As for coil packs, I will be changing them as the one on it now have broken and cracked clips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should be about about 40 lbs of pressure (according to the internet). Have you checked the voltage to the pump? Jump 12v to the pump to see if it pumps. It might be the original.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Did you try reading then clearing codes and running without the AFM plugged in like @[HCD] Velcra suggested? He may be a little sulky when you don't give him attention but he's worth listening to.
OK so you have an RB20, still not a rare engine in these parts. Like I said before you are hugely likely to find that there's already good info out there.
HOW TO - reset/ read fault codes that fuel pressure reading seems low but I would ignore that until you've at least cleared the codes. AFM issues are very common with these cars.
Fuel pressure is a common discussion point when it comes to RB engines 20's included. In other words if you Google "RB20 fuel pressure " you'll find lots of old threads and other resources full of info.
I've not had mine for very long and I would find myself asking people on here and elsewhere an awful lot of questions if it were not for the for the fact that I Google a lot of these questions first and find that the answers are already out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did you try reading then clearing codes and running without the AFM plugged in like @[HCD] Velcra suggested? He may be a little sulky when you don't give him attention but he's worth listening to.
OK so you have an RB20, still not a rare engine in these parts. Like I said before you are hugely likely to find that there's already good info out there.
HOW TO - reset/ read fault codes that fuel pressure reading seems low but I would ignore that until you've at least cleared the codes. AFM issues are very common with these cars.
Fuel pressure is a common discussion point when it comes to RB engines 20's included. In other words if you Google "RB20 fuel pressure " you'll find lots of old threads and other resources full of info.
I've not had mine for very long and I would find myself asking people on here and elsewhere an awful lot of questions if it were not for the for the fact that I Google a lot of these questions first and find that the answers are already out there.
Appreciate the reply. I will google that and take a look. The crazy thing is its not my car. My son bought it two weeks ago and I told him he's going to learn fast , by default. But I'm jumping in to help him out

Not sure why velcra got annoyed. I was in the process of looking for the plug he had pictured and he deleted the post. Sucks cause he seems to know his ****

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not someone I know to be fair but he seems rather precious. Not sure what his problem is. Think he maybe wanted you to worship him a little? Or just felt that his contribution was being undervalued.
If you look at the air filter/airbox depending on your set up you will see the next section on the intake is a plastic pipe with a box on it. The box has a plug going into it. Remove that plug after clearing the codes and see if she'll fire up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts