Skyline Owners Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No question but a update
So I changed the fuel filter, figured wtf.$21
It still showed 10PSI on the gauge. But It started for a second. I did the ECU clear and disconnected the AFM and nothing. I sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the intake and it started ,,briefly.

So I feel I'm getting there

Thanks for all the help. New fuel pump comes on Friday . We'll see what happens next.
I'm actually enjoying figuring this out

·
Registered
1995 GTR V-Spec
9 Posts
Congrats on diving into a whole new platform. I'm also a very new Skyline owner, but a seasoned (90's to late model) JDM owner, enthusiast, and builder. Anyway, besides all that...what jumped out at me first was the 10psi fuel pressure. That suggests fuel pump and/or fuel pressure relay failure, which is extremely common on anything that age. I would replace the fuel pump and perform a fuel pump relay re-wire.

·
Registered
1995 GTR V-Spec
9 Posts
Also...you might want to look into a new ignition coil wiring harness since you mentioned yours has cracked clips and such (also very common on these cars, especially with the age factor), and coils/plugs. Or step up to a full ignition coil upgrade using LS (or other) coils; but that's a whole new can of worms, that requires a standalone ECU, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
PM. Thanks for the reply. Yes this JDM thing is new but I'm in deep.
I've already looked into coil packs and wiring harness. Not to bad on the wallet. The fuel pump and regulator valve will be here Friday, I hope. Weather should be pretty good in NC this weekend for a few days of wrench turning.
First I'm hearing of this fuel pressure relay. I'll look I into where that's located and look into it.
My last resort is a Motorsports shop nearby that does JDM work. I know my limits.
Again thanks for the help

·
Registered
1995 GTR V-Spec
9 Posts
You’re welcome. It’s definitely going to be a learning experience for you. But as it uses older technology, it’s not nearly as difficult as say a G-series BMW. Overall, you’ll get some good wrench time in lol
But I would definitely check the fuel pump relay, as those are notorious for going out, much like on any cars from those days.
Even if it’s good, look into doing the rewire “mod” on it, which bypasses it completely and uses a new standard 30-40amp 4-pin relay and higher gauge wiring to keep your new fuel pump happy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply
Like I posted above I put a fuel gauge between the fuel filter and regulator valve . Got 10psi.
One thing I noticed when pulling the line is it was bone dry. I pulled it from the regulator and expected to see some fuel drip out but nothing. When we cranked it for the test the car fired up for a second then just continued trying to start.
As for coil packs, I will be changing them as the one on it now have broken and cracked clips.
I had a fuel pressure damper (not the regulator) fail on my RB20. Essentially the damper diaphram failed and fuel was running into the vacuum system that caused hard starting and rough running.

As well the MAF can cause starting issues.

If your changing the coilpacks i highly recommend you change the coilpack harness as well. One can be obtained from Wiring Specialties. The harness spends years tucked under a cover inbetween the cams and suffers a LOT of heat soak, it become very brittle and essentially crack apart.

Another thing to look at is the coil ignitor. Unlike most modern coils these are "dumb coils" all they do is fire when told by an ignitor block that the coil harness plugs into. You can upgrade to a Z32 ignitor with a minor rewire (or repin as the case may be)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had a fuel pressure damper (not the regulator) fail on my RB20. Essentially the damper diaphram failed and fuel was running into the vacuum system that caused hard starting and rough running.

As well the MAF can cause starting issues.

If your changing the coilpacks i highly recommend you change the coilpack harness as well. One can be obtained from Wiring Specialties. The harness spends years tucked under a cover inbetween the cams and suffers a LOT of heat soak, it become very brittle and essentially crack apart.

Another thing to look at is the coil ignitor. Unlike most modern coils these are "dumb coils" all they do is fire when told by an ignitor block that the coil harness plugs into. You can upgrade to a Z32 ignitor with a minor rewire (or repin as the case may be)
Htiokiri_gensai, Thanks for the info. I'm planning on changing the packs and harness as most of the connectors are broken. I'll look into Wiring Specialties

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Found the issue!!!!!!!!
Well one of the few

So in prep for the fuel pump change I pulled the pump to find the hose that leaves the top of the pump was just about off. The pump was replaced with the exact same one we have ordered. Probably from the a..holes we bought it from. They didnt secure the pump to the metal barcket and the the wires were the only thing holding it in place. We remounted it and zipped tied it to the bracket. Turned ignition and pressure hit 40. Cranked it up and it started. I cant believe it was something that simple. But I learned a lot in the process so it was worth it.

Thank you, thank you thank you for everyones help

Now to order new packs and harness

·
Registered
24 Posts
Found the issue!!!!!!!!
Well one of the few

So in prep for the fuel pump change I pulled the pump to find the hose that leaves the top of the pump was just about off. The pump was replaced with the exact same one we have ordered. Probably from the a..holes we bought it from. They didnt secure the pump to the metal barcket and the the wires were the only thing holding it in place. We remounted it and zipped tied it to the bracket. Turned ignition and pressure hit 40. Cranked it up and it started. I cant believe it was something that simple. But I learned a lot in the process so it was worth it.

Thank you, thank you thank you for everyones help

Now to order new packs and harness
Great!

Definitely do the coilpacks and harness, theyre one of thr biggest problems for the RB engines.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts