Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,i've got the gearbox blues!the damn thing crunches into 4th now,i'm guessing the syncro's on the way out.Now i know it's a common problem so can anyone please tell me how much i could expect to pay for a garage job or could i replace it cheaper with an R34 box?cheers.tony.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I know the feeling

I had the same problem with mine before my re-build but it was also a problem engaging 5th as speed !!!

You could replace it with a 34 box but I beleave that its not a straight swap and the box isn`t as strong as the 33 box. I think I`v heard of prices around £1200 to fix the 4th syncro problem your having.

May be worth doing a oil change on the box as sometimes in the early stages it will make it a little better !!!

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply richard, i too have heard prices around that figure as well as some around the £700 mark so anywhere in between is the likely answer to my question i fear.oh well better start saving i suppose:rolleyes:

·
Needs a self cleaning car
1,455 Posts
Deep Sympathy

My gearbox went the same way. PeterE on the GT-R register is staving off the rebuild by using Royal Purple oil, refer to the thread on the GT-R register.

I took the cheap option, an entire low mileage gearbox, cost £850 plus VAT, including fitting by Abbey.

The other option was the rebuild with upgraded components, came in at £1600.

At least yours hasn't pulled inlet & outlet gasket failure at the same time. That really hurt.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi,i've also taken delivery of some royal purple after a recommendation from a friend with an evo,he says it will keep my gears crunch free for about six months or so depending on how bad my gearbox was in the first place.I'll post when i've added it and let everybody know how good it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts